community_studios - [Community_studios] [cc-lessigletter] CC Changes

community_studios AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Discussion of all things related to Public Domain

  • From: Lawrence Lessig <lessig AT pobox.com>
  • To: cc-lessigletter AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Community_studios] [cc-lessigletter] CC Changes
  • Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2006 12:31:40 -0800

Last week, culminating Friday night, in parties around the world
( http://wiki.creativecommons.org/Birthday_party#Parties ), Creative
Commons celebrated its fourth birthday. Hundreds of people helped
mark this event. My 3 year old son, Willem, and I cut the first cake
at the party in Portugal.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/12625534@N00/326306569/

Five hours later, in the Creative Commons party in the virtual world
of Second Life, I made for me an announcement. As I removed the CC
torch from my bag of objects, I told those in world, and in San
Francisco, that Joi Ito, a venture capitalist from Japan and a key
driver in the "sharing economy," would be replacing me as Chairman of
Creative Commons. I will remain on the board, and as CEO. But from
the moment I handed him the torch, he is CC's new Chairman.

This is a very happy moment for CC. I'm not going anywhere -- CC will
continue to get everything I can give. But we are movement, not a
cult. And it is important that movements have leaders. I have had
enormous respect for Joi since first meeting him in Japan in early
2000. It was a real coup when I was able to convince him to join our
Board. Joi's whole ethic has been to build the sharing economy. That
ethic of building is precisely where CC is going right now.

This has been the best job I will have had. I can't describe how
extraordinary it has been to watch this organization grow, nor how
rewarding it has been to see the passion and energy it has inspired.
We have tried to show the world something about how creativity works
– not through obsessive control, but by creators inviting others to
create and share as well. More and more, this is a message the world
seems to get.

But for now, let me leverage a bit the opportunity that the ambiguity
of new leadership creates. After the thermometer is updated to
reflect a very generous anonymous gift we just received, we will have
just $100,000 left in our campaign. That's a lot to raise in two
weeks, but I think we can do it. Indeed, you can look at this change
in leadership in two ways, each of which gives some of you a reason
for one last push:

- Some of you have been loyal supporters of me from the very
beginning. I can't begin to express how grateful I've been for this
support, or for the generous thanks you've offered. To you, please
show that support one more time, by supporting CC in this final two
weeks of our drive.

- Some of you have been loyal critics, with a different vision of
copyright, or CC, and with a strong hope that the organization move
beyond the particular vision I've offered. Now you have your chance:
please celebrate the change, by supporting CC in this final two weeks
of our drive.

Either way, what both I and CC need most just now is your support. A
simple click is all we need to get that going.
http://creativecommons.org/support

Finally, thanks to all of you, and the Board of CC in particular, for
allowing me this extraordinary opportunity. And join me in helping,
and supporting, Joi Ito in his new role.

Next week, a final letter with some final thoughts for CC.

Alternatively, if you know others who might find these interesting,
please recommend they sign up at
http://creativecommons.org/about/lessigletter

Week 5 – CC Labs

Week 5 – CC Labs – Spanish Version
http://mirrors.creativecommons.org/translations/lessig-letter-06-5-
es.pdf
(Thanks to Maria Cristina Alvite for translation)

Support the Commons
http://creativecommons.org/support

To link to this message, go to:

Archive of Lessig Letters