community_studios - Re: [Community_studios] It's David from Ohio

community_studios AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Discussion of all things related to Public Domain

  • From: tom poe <tompoe AT fiai.net>
  • To: DRAGLAND4U AT aol.com
  • Cc: Community Studios <community_studios AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Community_studios] It's David from Ohio
  • Date: 01 Jul 2005 07:44:01 -0500

Hi, David: Here's one "sales" pitch:

What tools are there for a musician to use to pursue their careers?

There's radio: send your demo CD to a radio station, and they will play
it for you, so people can hear you.

There are music stores: contact the music stores and have them carry
your CDs, and you get a cut.

The radio costs lots of money, 'cause they can charge you to play your
music; the major record companies control the system

The music stores do the same.

That's pretty much the present system, a system whereby a couple of
corporations control some 85% of the music the world listens to.

There's the PC, make your own music recordings, develop an internet
strategy, and do it yourself. How?

Create a web site, create some CDs, start an online shop where people
can purchase, and then market to a worldwide audience, almost
instantaneously. The cost? a few pennies, maybe.

Now, homework assignment: bring up your favorite browser, then
type in http://www.ibiblio.org/studioforrecording/php/playlist.php ,
then
click on the image, and go to the welcome page, then
type in "ten" in the search box on the top right column, then
click on the first entry in the search results, then
read what the Ten Mile Tide band says.

SOLD!!!

Now, tell the musician to send Open Studios an email, and request
assistance to get started, today. Nice, eh? :)

As for loading and going, David, let's start by seeing what your
computer specs are. What have you got to use for your project? Do you
have an IT person there to give you the specs? If not, then we can try
and get to the Bios when you boot up, and see what info is there. Just
hit the on button on the computer, and look at the very top of the
screen for some text that says something like "setup - F2" or "esc". I
don't know what I'm doing, so I just start hitting the esc key,
repeatedly until something happens. What's amazing, is, the computer
lets me do that!
Tom