community_studios - [Community_studios] [Fwd: Library Question - Answer [Question #895539]]

community_studios AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Discussion of all things related to Public Domain

  • From: tom poe <tompoe AT fiai.net>
  • To: Open Studios <Open_Studios AT yahoogroups.com>
  • Cc: Community Studios <community_studios AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Community_studios] [Fwd: Library Question - Answer [Question #895539]]
  • Date: 28 Jun 2005 14:35:52 -0500

I bet you folks didn't know, but there's some reason to believe that the
Library of Congress is dabbling in the fine art of claiming copyright to
works that otherwise are supposed to be residing in our country's public
domain. The answer below, is a first attempt to flesh out the details
on this little "trick". Will keep you posted.

I was not expecting the related issue of access by the general public to
listening rooms. This issue could, indeed, be explosive, at least from
my personal perspective. Years ago, I resigned myself to public
libraries restricting access to medical/scientific publications, but I
never, ever expected to come up against someone restricting access to
public domain music.
Tom