community_studios - [Community_studios] Looking for friends to help on new project

community_studios AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Discussion of all things related to Public Domain

  • From: tom poe <tompoe AT amihost.com>
  • To: nosi-discussion AT nosi.net
  • Cc: Open Studios <Open_Studios AT yahoogroups.com>, Community Studios <community_studios AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Community_studios] Looking for friends to help on new project
  • Date: 16 Feb 2005 16:38:53 -0800

Hello: As most of you are aware, our country's HUD agency is about to
disappear into the depths of the Commerce Department, never to emerge
again. Many of you also know that there are some 1100 Neighborhood
Networks Program participants. These learning centers are set up to
introduce residents of HUD multi-family residences to computers, among
other activities. Over the next several months, every one of them will
need to become self-sustaining nonprofit organizations, or simply quit
operating. With that in mind, a small group of us at Open Studios would
like to organize some options for the centers to consider, all of which
include an FOSS foundation.

We'd like to put other ideas together, and create an attractive resource
for folks in the Neighborhood Networks Learning Centers, and for folks
in schools, nonprofits, even small businesses. Since I don't get around
much, and, even when I do, I don't connect the dots well, I thought we
could hook up with something along the lines described above, or, if you
have ideas to share, we'd like to learn about them.

We've decided to try email contact with the list of centers, first, so
if any of you have a project you want to include in a general intro
email, we'll work together to fashion something that works for
everyone. If you want us to join under your umbrella, we'd be
delighted. Let me know what you think.
Open Studios
Reno, NV, USA
www.ibiblio.org/studioforrecording/

  • [Community_studios] Looking for friends to help on new project, tom poe, 02/16/2005