community_studios - [Community_studios] Social Security By The Numbers

community_studios AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Discussion of all things related to Public Domain

  • From: tom poe <tompoe AT amihost.com>
  • To: Open Studios <Open_Studios AT yahoogroups.com>
  • Cc: Seth Johnson <seth.johnson AT realmeasures.dyndns.org>, Community Studios <community_studios AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Community_studios] Social Security By The Numbers
  • Date: 30 Nov 2004 10:30:49 -0800

http://www.ssa.gov/OACT/TR/TR04/trTOC.html
2004 OASDI Trustees Report

This is the Social Security Status Report, given out each year. The
2003 report is consistent in concluding there is NO problem with social
security trust funds meeting the demand, until 2042. Compare that with
Bush's assessment:
"He supports a proposal from his Social Security commission that hits
workers with large cuts in their Social Security benefits. The proposed
cuts are phased in over time, but an average wage earner who is 20 today
will see their total Social Security benefits cut by close to $160,000
over their retirement. They will have the option of trying to retrieve a
small portion of these cuts by seeking higher returns in the stock
market, with the additional risk this implies."
http://www.tompaine.com/articles/social_security_is_not_in_crisis.php
Social Security Is Not In Crisis
Dean Baker
November 30, 2004

So, looks like the choice is, we raise the present and projected cost of
running Social Security from 0.6 cents of every dollar to some unknown
figure for investment brokers (Bush's Pals) to handle social security,
or do we consider legislation in the next ten to thiry years to raise
the cost figure to meet the needs of our children and their children. I
wonder what "up-front" fees Bush and Gang will charge?

This is assuming the dollar does not get devalued in the coming months.
Tom

  • [Community_studios] Social Security By The Numbers, tom poe, 11/30/2004