community_studios - [Community_studios] cost of CD questions

community_studios AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Discussion of all things related to Public Domain

  • From: tom poe <tompoe AT amihost.com>
  • To: Open Studios <Open_Studios AT yahoogroups.com>
  • Cc: Community Studios <community_studios AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Community_studios] cost of CD questions
  • Date: 15 Jul 2004 08:26:04 -0700

Robert says it looks like a CD might cost the Independent Artist that
has no money, something less than $4 per CD to make a few to get
started. The profits can be pumped back in, and it shouldn't take too
many sales to break even:

So, how does this break out?
Say, we have a community-based recording studio setup that is nothing
more than a donated computer with the CCRMA software on it. We borrow a
fairly good microphone, maybe a keyboard, and make six to ten song file
recordings in .wav format. We then use a CD/RW to create the CD
"master", then make copies. Am I missing anything, yet?

Next, we create a label for sticking on the CD.
We then create the cover, and insert for the customer/listener to read
and enjoy while they listen to the CD.
Finally, we need the jewel case to hold the CD, and the mailer/postage
to send it to domestic market purchasers.

So, what's the cost per CD for budget purposes? Let's set an initial
inventory of 15 CDs. Anyone able to detail the list of materials
needed?

SIDENOTE:
My schedule will let me respond and carry on with the kind responses of
Alan and Anatoly on the topic of people deprived of culture, maybe
tomorrow.

Tom

  • [Community_studios] cost of CD questions, tom poe, 07/15/2004