community_studios - [Community_studios] You forgot Australia

community_studios AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Discussion of all things related to Public Domain

  • From: tom poe <tompoe AT amihost.com>
  • To: bob AT cringely.com
  • Cc: Community Studios <community_studios AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Community_studios] You forgot Australia
  • Date: Mon, 08 Dec 2003 01:50:44 -0000

Hi, Bob:
DECEMBER 4, 2003
No Confidence Vote:
Why the Current Touch Screen Voting Fiasco Was Pretty Much Inevitable
By Robert X. Cringely

If you're going to do this story, you really needed to put Australia
into the mix. Paperless voting using Open Source code which preserves
the voters' right to vote by subjecting the systems to public scrutiny.
The stage is set to "catch" tampering.

With that handy little piece of knowledge in the public's eye, you can
now ask specific questions about why America was so intent to switch to
proprietary source code solutions.

It might also be worth mentioning, that states, not our Constitution,
drives the right to vote issue. This absolves federal candidates from
finger-pointing, which is a nice touch, don't you think?

Now, at the end of this road, it is my firm belief that those who
actively participate in the overthrow of our government as we know it,
i.e., imposing the elimination of our right to vote by virtue of having
no way to subject the voting process to public scrutiny, are most
certainly guilty of treason. So, be ready to take this beyond your
claim of restricting the discussion to an IT matter. We don't want Bob
to be caught up in the growing list of participants, just because he was
unwilling to take that last step to inform the public.

Here's a template for you:
http://www.studioforrecording.org/mt/perls_log/archives/000096.html

Happy Holidays,
Tom Poe
Open Studios
Reno, NV
http://www.studioforrecording.org/

  • [Community_studios] You forgot Australia, tom poe, 12/07/2003