community_studios - [Community_studios] Town Hall Meeting Comment

community_studios AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Discussion of all things related to Public Domain

  • From: tom poe <tompoe AT amihost.com>
  • To: Reno AT yahoogroups.com
  • Cc: Community Studios <community_studios AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Community_studios] Town Hall Meeting Comment
  • Date: Fri, 05 Dec 2003 19:32:18 -0000

Hi: Not sure this is the right forum for discussing the electronic
voting issue in Nevada. If anyone knows where such a discussion amongst
concerned citizens is taking place, please alert me?

In June, I had an exchange of letters and emails with our state
Elections Advisory Commission about my concerns with moving to
electronic voting systems that do not provide for a hand recount, or
provide for public scrutiny of the voting process, if they choose a
proprietary voting system. On November 5th, after weeks of being
censored by the RGJ, and not being permitted to raise the issue through
our local paper, I posted a scathing challenge to our governor, Heller,
our state attorney general, and the rest of the Elections Advisory
Commission. That post is located here:
http://www.studioforrecording.org/mt/perls_log/archives/000096.html

Last night, Dean Heller made it clear that Senator Ensign, author of the
amendment in the Help America Vote Act requiring paper ballots, was
wrong, and that he, Dean Heller, would decide whether the voters of
Nevada will have their right to vote eliminated, or not. Then, he
decided he was a comedian, making light of the issue of our right to
vote. Arrogance and disdain for others is probably too kind a
description for this "scumbag" (to use a term usually reserved for use
by lawyers).

Australia uses electronic voting systems that protect the voters' right
to vote by making the voting systems exposed to public scrutiny, cost a
fraction of what Dean Heller is about to spend, and empowers the voters
with respect and dignity. Why would Dean Heller be committed to
eliminating our right to vote? He won't answer me, when I ask. Will he
answer you, if you ask?

Thomas Paine, in 1795, said, "The right of voting for representatives is
the primary right by which other rights are protected. To take away
this right is to reduce a man to slavery,. . . ." California''s
succumbing to the deception of their Secretary of State that says, we'll
take away your right to vote for the 2004 election, but trust us, we'll
return it in 2006. Right, and your Mom's the queen of Ireland.
Tom Poe
Open Studios
Reno, NV
http://www.studioforrecording.org/

  • [Community_studios] Town Hall Meeting Comment, tom poe, 12/05/2003