community_studios - [Community_studios] AiR program comment

community_studios AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Discussion of all things related to Public Domain

  • From: tom poe <tompoe AT amihost.com>
  • To: perry AT eyebeam.org
  • Cc: "Open_Studios AT yahoogroups.com" <Open_Studios AT yahoogroups.com>, Community Studios <community_studios AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Community_studios] AiR program comment
  • Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2003 03:06:33 -0000

Hello: I certainly enjoyed being introduced to your organization's
work. I applaud and cheer you on.

As you know, the cost of state-of-the-art recording studios has dropped
precipitously over the last eighteen months. Today, high quality audio,
video, text, data, graphics, even full-featured film-making takes place
on one's kitchen table, thanks to Open Source software development
projects.

Artist in Residence programs now have no excuse for not being ubiquitous
throughout our country and the world. The logistics for establishing
duplicate facilities in every community is trivial, as demonstrated by
the work of Open Studios, a nonprofit organization dedicated to
replenishing our precious Public Domain. This organization provides
technical support, training, and other resources lacking in many
communities, thus ensuring the success of community-based recording
studios.

I would challenge the Eyebeam.org organization to take a bold step in
exploring its AiR program, and think about exploding its current vision
to incorporate active participation throughout the world at the
community level, working with Open Studios, or using the Open Studios
model for providing the infrastructure of an expanded AiR project.

Open Studios
Reno, NV
http://www.studioforrecording.org/

  • [Community_studios] AiR program comment, tom poe, 11/12/2003