community_studios - [Community_studios] copyright confusion comment

community_studios AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Discussion of all things related to Public Domain

  • From: tom poe <tompoe AT amihost.com>
  • To: hamilton02 AT aol.com
  • Cc: Community Studios <community_studios AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Community_studios] copyright confusion comment
  • Date: Wed, 06 Aug 2003 03:07:59 -0000

Hi, Marci: http://writ.news.findlaw.com/hamilton/20030805.html
Why Suing College Students for Illegal Music Downloading Is the Right
Thing To Do
By MARCI HAMILTON
hamilton02 AT aol.com
Tuesday, Aug. 05, 2003

Your premise is that copyright works in the Digital Age. That seems to
be a radical idea, one with many problems associated.

Copyright is considered by many a necessary factor for stimulating
progress, and contributing to a thriving and robust society.
Unfortunately, in the Digital Age, with the empowerment of the
individual, there is now a new means to achieve such goals, at the
expense of those who believe copyright should have a predominant role in
expanding the Digital Age.

In the Digital Age, you and I can do everything the big media, big
entertainment, big publishing houses do, and compete on equal footing
with a worldwide audience. We can accomplish this remarkable feat,
regardless of endeavor, whether in the arts, sciences, or
manufacturing. There is no need for copyright as we knew it, and can
rely instead on registration with the Public Domain, adding
restrictions, rather than starting with an automatic full arsenal of
copyright and removing restrictions.

Marci, the world has turned upside down, and your students will be
short-changed if you don't provide them with the level of information
they need to successfully practice their profession when they graduate.
Open Studios
Reno, NV
http://www.studioforrecording.org/

  • [Community_studios] copyright confusion comment, tom poe, 08/05/2003