community_studios - [Community_studios] Re: [seul-edu] Open Source Applications Certification

community_studios AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Discussion of all things related to Public Domain

  • From: tom poe <tompoe AT ableweb.net>
  • To: seul-edu AT seul.org
  • Cc: Community Studios <community_studios AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Community_studios] Re: [seul-edu] Open Source Applications Certification
  • Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2003 04:31:17 -0000

Hi, Phil: You've hit it on the head, there, I think. It's all about
money.

Open Source provides the end-user with the ability to "certify" to their
heart's content. No need to go through third party certification, in
most cases. Certification comes with proprietary stuff where end-users
are not able to check under the hood. Must rely on "experts" who have
arranged to step in the shoes of the end-user. I suspect we'll see
different sorts of certification arising as we move into the digital
age, especially in the area of education. Just a thought.
Open Studios
Reno, NV
http://www.studioforrecording.org/