community_studios - [Community_studios] aitechnology update

community_studios AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Discussion of all things related to Public Domain

  • From: tom poe <tompoe AT ableweb.net>
  • To: david AT blackboxvoting.com
  • Cc: community_studios AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Community_studios] aitechnology update
  • Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2003 19:24:10 -0700

Hi, Bev Harris: I sent a request for information to the list of vendors on the FEC site, and got an interesting response from aitechnology.com. One message from James Mindaneo proudly announces the first voter verification system, and the pending patent technology for any voter printout methods utilized by DRE's. The messages are posted as they occurred at:
http://www.ibiblio.org/studioforrecording/repository.html

When you enter that address, scroll down to mail list, and click.
When you get to the mail list subscription page, click on the archives link and view the activity for April.
I don't know whether this is new info or not, but should shed some light on why we need to encourage an Open Source Project to quickly develop closed PC-Based systems that can be setup by precincts, county, and state officials to provide secure and reassuring voter-friendly DRE's. Personally, I suspect this company may be responsible for some of the reasons why blackboxvoting.com exists. :)

The solution is a simple, obvious one, but would take a huge public relations campaign to pull it off by the 2004 elections [that's your home turf, right?]. The costs would be greatly diminished, just a fraction of the millions now being spent, and the Open Source Community would provide generous technical support. We saw a similar and just as remarkable project a few years ago with the Human Genome work and the Open Source folks at Stanford University. I suspect that David Dill at: ddill AT chicory.stanford.edu ??? would be more than willing to coordinate contacts for discussion of such a project. Hope you can look into this matter further.
Open Studios
Reno, NV
http://www.studioforrecording.org/

  • [Community_studios] aitechnology update, tom poe, 04/15/2003