community_studios - [Community_studios] Re: Copyright Lesson Plan

community_studios AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Discussion of all things related to Public Domain

  • From: "tompoe AT renonevada.net" <tompoe AT renonevada.net>
  • To: cni-copyright AT cni.org
  • Cc: community_studios AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Community_studios] Re: Copyright Lesson Plan
  • Date: Tue, 11 Feb 2003 20:40:59 -0800

Hi, Jason: I think it would be marvelous, if you could generate a lesson plan that uses the web site: http://www.creativecommons.org to illustrate how the Public Domain registration works in the Digital Age.

Students might enjoy bringing a letter, image, song, or other document that they can register on the site. They can then print out a "Deed" to take home and frame to put on their wall.

Here is a letter from Jefferson to Madison, talking about copyright and life expectancy [some 36 years at that time], which would give the students some perspective on how our founding fathers viewed the length of time a monopoly should be awarded creators:
http://makeashorterlink.com/?X5A826B63

Is a lifetime monopoly a fair trade for advancing the arts and sciences in the Digital Age?

Open Studios focuses on community-based recording studios, and the arts. That implies, though, that a community-based recording studio also serves the community in the Digital Age as a center for all industries, not just music. How does copyright fit into the Digital Age? An age where the individual can use digital files for marketing campaigns, events announcements, multi-media presentations, commercial manufacturing [see the topic of remote manufacturing].

Put the Creative Commons legal framework together with community-based access [local access TV], and the possibilities are endless, from the individual's creative viewpoint.
Open Studios
Reno, NV

Jason Weiss wrote:
Hello all. This is my first post to the board. I am a student at Penn State and I am writing a lesson plan about copyright and fair use. It is intended for eighth grade students and needs to have supporting material from the Internet. I found some useful resources but I was wondering if anyone had any ideas about something I can use. It can be pretty much any type of resource (like an online quiz, video, website, etc.). I appreciate any help you could give me.
Thanks,
Jason Weiss
Pennsylvania State University

--
http://www.studioforrecording.org/
"There is no Public Domain unless we do it ourselves"

  • [Community_studios] Re: Copyright Lesson Plan, tompoe AT renonevada.net, 02/11/2003