community_studios - [Community_studios] Sunday's article on DTV

community_studios AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Discussion of all things related to Public Domain

  • From: "tompoe AT renonevada.net" <tompoe AT renonevada.net>
  • To: cfarley AT rgj.com
  • Subject: [Community_studios] Sunday's article on DTV
  • Date: Sun, 11 Aug 2002 10:53:22 -0700

Hi, Corley: One of the best of the best, sir. Your article in the Reno Gazette Journal about having DTV shoved down our throats [my impression] was excellent.
In case you want my opinion, here's a taste:
http://www.linuxtv.org/

You see, they know that TV broadcast programs now require only some $20,000 to set up, and create identical quality to what the big guys do. That means, you and I can create programs and sell them, or simply register them in the Public Domain, and the big guys [how many are there?] have to compete. However, force the broadcast flag down our throats, and they cut off the competition, just like they're doing with the webcasting on the Internet, eh?

A small group of us have started Open Studios, and directed it squarely at the RIAA and Hollywood. We offer musicians and artists free recording services. Then, they can use the Internet to build audiences and make tours and stuff, without the big guys. You know, after the model of the Grateful Dead.

In a year or so, we're going to do the same for TV, and force the manufacturers to do the logical thing.

They don't need to do the broadcast flag. They need to simply require the manufacturers to make it possible for folks to choose the public tv switch or the private tv switch. It can be that easy. Open Source makes it possible to have an explosion of quality DTV programs, without "protecting" the big guys. So, you see, it's some two-bit criminals in Hollywood trying to snuff out our precious public domain. Open Studios won't stand for it, and neither should the public stand for this terrible assault on our precious public domain.

Did I mention we're really pushing to replenish our precious public domain that Hollywood and the RIAA are stealing from us? <grin>
Open Studios
Reno, NV
--
http://www.studioforrecording.org/
http://www.ibiblio.org/studioforrecording/

  • [Community_studios] Sunday's article on DTV, tompoe AT renonevada.net, 08/11/2002