community_studios - [Community_studios] Re: Hearing of July 27th Problem . . . .

community_studios AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Discussion of all things related to Public Domain

  • From: tom poe <tompoe AT renonevada.net>
  • To: Cheryl.Mendonsa AT TA.DOC.GOV
  • Cc: Sheila Lennon <lennon2 AT cox.net>, DMCA_discuss <DMCA_discuss AT lists.microshaft.org>, community_studios <community_studios AT lists.ibiblio.org>, editors AT eff.org
  • Subject: [Community_studios] Re: Hearing of July 27th Problem . . . .
  • Date: Mon, 08 Jul 2002 15:00:17 -0700

Hello: Thank you. I will go to the site, immediately. In the event it has not happened, will the agency adjust the timetable to allow for comments prior to the Workshop? I would imagine, extending the comment deadline until the evening of the 15th would be an appropriate and responsible action.
Respectfully,
Tom Poe
Reno, NV

Cheryl.Mendonsa AT TA.DOC.GOV wrote:
Mr. Poe: Thank you for your interest in our July 17 DRM roundtable. You
will be pleased to learn that we have today posted on our web site a public
comments page on our web site which can be found at:

http://www.ta.doc.gov/comments/comments.htm

We will also have a transcription service at this event so that minutes of
the meeting will be posted to our web site as we have done in the past with
our Federal R&D roundtables and others.

Your criticism of eliciting public comments is a valid one, and we attempt
to engage and inform the public by hosting both Washington-based and local
roundtables, workshops and meetings on a variety of topics. We have also
attempted to capture many of our events through photos essays also posted
on our web site, along with our public affairs e-mail address for comments.

We appreciate your taking the time to contact us.

Cheryl Mendonsa
Office of Public Affairs
Ph. 202-482-8321 or 482-5913
Fax. 202-501-6054
cheryl.mendonsa AT ta.doc.gov

tom poe <tompoe@renone To: Mweisskohl AT ta.doc.gov vada.net> cc: cheryl.mendonsa AT ta.doc.gov, Sheila Lennon <lennon2 AT cox.net>, dmca_discuss-admin 07/07/02 10:15 <dmca_discuss-admin AT lists.microshaft.org>, PM editors AT eff.org, community_studios Please respond <community_studios AT lists.ibiblio.org> to tompoe Subject: Hearing of July 27th Problem . . . .

Hello: I found this link to the announcement for a hearing on July 17,
2002, that was posted in the Register. It announces a Public Workshop on
Digital Entertainment and Rights Management. Your agency has not made it
possible for the general public to participate with comments. The site
you list does not provide an email address, a page link to submit a
form, or any discussion of the Public Workshop.

Please forward this to the appropriate individuals, and point out to
them that they are giving the impression of acting as if they are
attempting to engage in activities that are not beneficial to the
general public. Which, in my opinion, they are.

I have copied this to other lists, in order to provide a contact through
your agency to those responsible for the Public Workshop. Thank you for
your assistance in forwarding this email and others that may arrive in
your mail box, and Cheryl's mail box.
Respectfully,
Tom Poe
Reno, NV

http://makeashorterlink.com/?A1EC62531
SUMMARY: The United States Department of Commerce Technology
Administration (TA) announces a public workshop on digital
entertainment and its availability to consumers. The workshop will help
gather data on such issues as the status of technical standards that
provide the framework necessary to enable legitimate digital media
distribution and the present state of strengths, weaknesses and
availability of current and imminent technological solutions to protect
digital content, barriers that are inhibiting movies, music and games
from coming online.

DATES: This workshop will be held on July 17, 2002, from 1 p.m.-4 p.m.

ADDRESSES: The workshop will be held at the Herbert C. Hoover Building,
1401 Constitution Avenue, NW., Room 4830, Washington, DC. Entrance on
14th between Pennsylvania and Constitution Aves., NW.

FOR FURTHER INFORMATION CONTACT: Further information relevant to the
substantive issues to be addressed by this workshop may be obtained
from Chris Israel Deputy Assistant Secretary for Technology Policy,
Technology Administration, (202) 482-5687. Limited seating will be
available to members of the general public. It is recommended that
persons wishing to become general public attendees arrive early, as
seating will be first come, first served.

SUPPLEMENTARY INFORMATION: Pursuant to its statutory authority found at
15 U.S.C. 3704(c), the Technology Administration is authorized, among
other things, to conduct technology policy analyses to improve United
States industrial productivity, technology, and innovation, cooperate
with United States industry in the improvement of its productivity,
technology, and ability to compete successfully in world markets, and
identify technological needs, problems, and opportunities within and
across industrial sectors, that, if addressed, could make a significant
contribution to the economy of the United States.
With these responsibilities in mind, the Technology Administration
is planning on holding a moderated series of informal discussions with
relevant stakeholders to gather information on the availability of
digital entertainment and status of copyright protection and rights
management tools. The discussions will help gather data on such issues
as the strength, weaknesses and availability of technological
solutions, as well as network capability, and the proper role for the
Government in facilitating solutions that are best for innovation and
best for consumers.
Topics to be addressed at the workshop include:

[rtrif] The effectiveness of efforts to pursue technical standards or
solutions that are designed to provide a more predictable and secure
environment for digital transmission of copyright material;
[rtrif] Major obstacles facing an open commercial exchange of digital
content;
[rtrif] What a future framework for success might entail;
[rtrif] Current consumer attitude towards online entertainment.

The workshop will focus on these and other related issues. Anyone
wishing to comment on these or raise related issues is free to do so,
either in writing before the meeting, or in person at the meeting.
Prior comments will be collected via the Technology Administration Web
site--www.ta.doc.gov/<http://www.ta.doc.gov/. and are
requested by July 11, 2002.

Authority: This work effort is being initiated pursuant to TA's
statutory responsibilities, codified at section 3704 of Title 15 of
the United States Code.

Dated: June 28, 2002.
Phillip J. Bond,
Undersecretary of Commerce for Technology.
[FR Doc. 02-16740 Filed 7-2-02; 8:45 am]
BILLING CODE 3510-18-M

--
http://www.studioforrecording.org/
http://www.ibiblio.org/studioforrecording/