community_studios - [Community_studios] Re: EXCITING NEWS

community_studios AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Discussion of all things related to Public Domain

  • From: tom poe <tompoe AT renonevada.net>
  • To: "Matalena Tionisio" <matalena.tionisio AT minpac.govt.nz>
  • Cc: "Alex" <alex AT synchcorp.com>, "CommStudios" <community_studios AT lists.ibiblio.org>, "Heather" <baskets AT myexcel.com>, "Ram" <ram AT zen.compbio.washington.edu>
  • Subject: [Community_studios] Re: EXCITING NEWS
  • Date: Mon, 17 Jun 2002 17:58:28 -0700

On Monday 17 June 2002 17:07, Matalena Tionisio wrote:

> > Thank you so much for your prompt reply
>
> As I read through your e-mail I couldn't believe my eyes. This is
> something my brother and I have been talking about since early last year
> (let alone your website). Our passion is music. We were brought up with
> it (Mum's band back in the 70's, 80's and early 90's) hence living and
> breathing it. We were thinking the same thing in terms of building a
> recording studio of our own being too expensive and we even planned to do
> well in school and courses so that we were able to be employed in high
> paying jobs so that we could 'SAVE UP' that kind of money otherwise apply
> for a mortgage (however way possible) so that we were able build at least a
> mini recording studio in our own study room at home (or garage).
> this year my family were vibing off each others vision and ideas and
> building a recording studio was a hot topic. Having one available to
> whoever from the community wanted to use it - but pay a minimum fee of say
> $10 an hour doing/recording whatever they wanted - but we provide the
> instruments, equipment, supervision and our time (roster between ourselves
> until we train new staff member who are will to volunteer their time) - but
> if you say it's offered free, show me how we could be of free service to
> our community and we'll follow suit.
> We even planned what we'd buy first, second... and so forth to we had
> everything we needed to 'make it happen' for us and the community, but in
> terms of time ... a mini recording system wouldn't be ready until say...5-7
> years time....heehee... what do you think of that one???!!! ...compare this
> to your org, ... I think you could get quite a laugh out of that one!
> Anyway! please, please, please - show me your cards!
> What can I do to make this happen right here in New Zealand. I wouldn't
> mind being the first here in Wellington Capital City to run that type of
> joint, I think it's a great idea!! What can I do to get this up and
> running as soon as possible.... although there's no rush, it's just that I
> know I live in a gold mine of potential artists who need a pinch of
> encouragement and a pathway available to them to put their passion into
> action.
> Do you want to help me on this?

Hi: It's a go! The first thing you do, is revisit with your family, and
show them the site and the two Linux Journal articles. They'll be listed in
the article archives/index. The important thing is to see who in the
community wants to get involved to help build the studio. If you can, see if
there is one attorney, one accountant, one school administrator, and the
highest person at the Cultural and Heritage Ministry you can attract.

This would be a dream team. If you can get them excited, then they will be
able to put the project together nicely. If you have a celebrity in the
music business that also can be involved, that will help attract the others,
so spend the next month checking everything out. Send your questions and
I'll directly respond, or one of the other Board Members, depending on the
topic. At the end of the first month, collect the resumes or biographies of
the dream team, and send copies to me [text file attachments are fine]. Then
we will evaluate how best to proceed, depending on what dream team we have.

Also, save each email and place a copy in a folder to show everyone what
we're talking about, so they will not have questions. Finally, if you can
write an introduction to your community about what you are doing to build a
recording studio, you will at some point, be able to publicize your project.
It will change a lot, so don't try to make it a one shot deal. Have others
help write it, and that will also be a way to get people involved.
Reno, NV
http://www.studioforrecording.org/
http://www.ibiblio.org/studioforrecording/
http://renotahoe.pm.org/

  • [Community_studios] Re: EXCITING NEWS, tom poe, 06/17/2002