community_studios - [Community_studios] Re: Free recording stuio in South Africa?

community_studios AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Discussion of all things related to Public Domain

  • From: tom poe <tompoe AT renonevada.net>
  • To: "Ogmios" <ogmios AT artslink.co.za>
  • Subject: [Community_studios] Re: Free recording stuio in South Africa?
  • Date: Sun, 16 Jun 2002 10:40:10 -0700

On Sunday 16 June 2002 10:33, Ogmios wrote:

> > I agree with the idea of free access for anyone to recording facilities.
>
> I'm operating from a community developing project. Run a pc based studio.
> Muso's come in once or twice a week for full day sessions that we have so
> far managed without charging them. We record produce and give cd rom to
> take home.
>
> Other projects are in the Eastern cape (BTW we are in Cape Town area; 60km
> outside city).
>
> Main aim currently is to familiarise musicians with the recording studio
> environs and watch the cultural development.
>
> We are proposing to build a fully functioning studio that serves the
> surrounding community and are looking for suggestions. Would really like to
> keep it free as education and cultural development.
>
> Would like to stay in contact wih you.
>
> Regards
>
> Karel Mars

Hi, Karel: That's what we do here. You have a question, we get the answers.

For starters, let's assume we're going to help you create your
community-based recording studio. You're going to offer FREE recording
services, and encourage the musicians and artists to place their works in the
Public Domain.

We know that these facilities cost US$25,000 to $35,000.00. If you had
US$25,000.00 to $35,000.00 you could build one that is just like those in
the U.S. So, if that works for you, then let's do it. Think about what role
you'd like us to play in this project. Do you want us to help you raise the
funds to build the studio, help you install equipment, or help you with
maintaining the equipment, or with documentation, or what? Once you decide
what you want to do, send me a description, and we'll work together.
Respectfully,
Tom Poe
Reno, NV
http://www.studioforrecording.org/
http://www.ibiblio.org/studioforrecording/
http://renotahoe.pm.org/

  • [Community_studios] Re: Free recording stuio in South Africa?, tom poe, 06/16/2002