community_studios - RE: [Community_studios] Re: Fwd: Re: [fsl-discuss]RedHat Patent Policy

community_studios AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Discussion of all things related to Public Domain

  • From: De Bug <debug AT centras.lt>
  • To: CommStudios <community_studios AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [Community_studios] Re: Fwd: Re: [fsl-discuss]RedHat Patent Policy
  • Date: Thu, 6 Jun 2002 09:32:32 +0100

>I'm not sure what you mean.
> Do you mean that a company which is trying to make money
>from open source, such as Red Hat, should not be concerned
>with patents, copyrights or keen business savvy? If so, you
>are wrong. Do you mean that a hobbyist who writes and uses
>open source software should not be concerned with patents,
>copyrights, or keen business savvy? If so, you may be right,

All that makes me confident that copyrights and patents must be thrown away
completely
if copy-left software is safe to use Red-Hat patented code why non-copy left
software
should be discriminated ?
(Copy-left means that modified versions must provide the same freedoms as the
original work,
non-copy left does not require modified versions to comply with this ruling)

I think Red-Hat maked a big strategic mistake for
I as open-source and free software advertiser and developer cant accept
patents on ideas
and i think many others neigther will accept it.
Red-Hat will safe its business in that way but will bury free-software
movement :(

--
De Bug