community_studios - [Community_studios] Windows only site?

community_studios AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Discussion of all things related to Public Domain

  • From: tom poe <tompoe AT renonevada.net>
  • To: carolyn AT naace.org
  • Cc: "CommStudios" <community_studios AT lists.ibiblio.org>, "Reno_Perl_Group" <renotahoe-pm AT pm.org>
  • Subject: [Community_studios] Windows only site?
  • Date: Tue, 4 Jun 2002 22:45:38 -0700

Hello: I was disappointed to have a popup message report that I must use IE
to view your site. The National Association of Advisors for Computers in
Education is not a site that I would expect such a message to appear. The
only access the site seems to offer is one to the product 'illumina', for
Microsoft.

I am interested in publicizing a project that utilizes Open Source resources.
Your group really should be interested in this. With that in mind, I attach
the article for you to share with others.
Reno, NV
http://www.studioforrecording.org/
http://www.ibiblio.org/studioforrecording/
http://renotahoe.pm.org/
Record Your Own CD:Free Studios For Communities
by Open Studios
June 3, 2002

Abstract: Recording Quality CD's and making money for nonprofits, schools, and
community groups is an idea whose time has come.

INTRODUCTION:
There's talk around town, that it's now possible to make a quality CD,
and sell it to make money for churches, nonprofits, groups of all
sorts, especially schools or educational programs, and the recording
services are  FREE.  Recording studios charge for their services, the
expensive equipment, and technical expertise for those who would pay.
Now, we have a new model to work with.

Open Studios has developed a way for communities to build and operate
a community-based recording studio that provides FREE recording
services for the community's residents and those in the surrounding
area.  Just show up, make a recording, market it, and make money.
With the recording fees being $0.00 dollars, the cost is only found in
the number of blank CD's and whatever marketing budget a nonprofit
group, young band, or church might spend.  Sounds good, but how does
it work?

HOWTO:
Open Studios is a nonprofit organization that is dedicated to
broadening the base of our precious Public Domain.  The folks at Open
Studio believe that our present law regarding Copyrights has gone too
far, and we are in desperate need to replenish what a few corporate
special interest lobbying groups have "taken".  For example, our
present law, under something called the Copyright Term Extension Act,
has removed all works from the Public Domain from 1923 on.  Some 3.35
million works are unavailable under this law.

Without works available in the Public Domain, artists and musicians
have an undue burden placed upon them, and, as everyone knows, those
who hold copyrights and patents, are just waiting to sue anyone that
might even think about "infringing".  With those issues, then,
something needs to happen.  Open Studios provides assistance to
communities of all sizes to build and operate low-cost, high quality
recording studios.  A community simply takes a look at the "model" and
chooses what services and assistance it needs to get the job done.

Let's say there's a community that has no resources, locally and
wishes to have Open Studios handle the funding for building the
recording studio, and handle the operation of the facility.  What Open
Studios would do, is prepare a grant application, which might take
several forms, combined to generate about $35,000 in funding to build
the facility.  Open Studios would then reach out and coordinate a Team
of technical experts to volunteer to handle the operation and
maintenance of the equipment, much of it being able to be done
remotely.  The community would then coordinate a staff of volunteers
to operate the facility and run the various programs that fit the
community's local needs.

Today, much if not all of the technology found in recording studios,
is available as Open Source technology.  Open Source technology does
not burden the owner/user with licensing costs and upgrade costs.
It's available to everyone.  The Open Source Community consists of
hundreds of thousands of people of all walks of life, contributing and
participating in the development of various projects around the
world.  Many of them are members of Users' Groups in communities that
wish to have a community-based recording studio.  As a result, we will
begin to see many such projects arrive on the "scene" similar to what
Open Studios provides.

CONCLUSION:
With the arrival of Open Studios, a new era in creativity and
innovation has begun.  Schools, churches, nonprofits, bands just starting out,
artists and musicians, museums, can now record their works and develop
marketing strategies to make money.  These facilities fill a niche between not
making a recording at all, to being able to afford commercial
recording studios.  Those who use the FREE recording services will
have access to important resources for licensing and placement of
their works in a Repository that will help replenish our precious
Public Domain.

More information about this project, or if you have questions, can be
found by visiting the web site at: http://www.studioforrecording.org.