community_studios - [Community_studios] RE: [DMCA_Discuss] Movie and TV Industries Force SonicBlue to Spy on Customers

community_studios AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Discussion of all things related to Public Domain

  • From: tompoe <tompoe AT aether.raven.cxm>
  • To: Charles Eakins <admin AT seattle-chat.com>
  • Cc: <tompoe AT renonevada.net>, Seth Johnson <seth.johnson AT realmeasures.dyndns.org>, <C-FIT_Community AT realmeasures.dyndns.org>, <C-FIT_Release_Community AT realmeasures.dyndns.org>, <fairuse-discuss AT mrbrklyn.com>, <DMCA_Discuss AT lists.microshaft.org>, CommStudios <community_studios AT lists.ibiblio.org>, Reno_Perl_Group <renotahoe-pm AT pm.org>, "Seul.org" <seul-edu AT seul.org>
  • Subject: [Community_studios] RE: [DMCA_Discuss] Movie and TV Industries Force SonicBlue to Spy on Customers
  • Date: Fri, 3 May 2002 13:50:52 -0700 (PDT)

Hi: Interesting thing about this crap. Sonic Blue, as I understand it, is
to collect information by identifying who has devices, and I suspect they
will have to identify who that is, right? Or, is it that they just
identify the device without looking at any identifying information that
would be needed to verify that that device is owned and operated by
someone that fits the criteria for "customer". Now, what if the offending
party, should there be one, turns out to be a dignitary, an extremely
likable congressperson, a judge, or whatever? Nope, there's no way
they're not going to match personal identifying info to the 'unique
qualifier', and that, is pure, unadulterated privacy invasion at the
highest level. I do believe they have gone too far, on this one.
Thanks,
tom