community_studios - [Community_studios] Re: Studio recording project

community_studios AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Discussion of all things related to Public Domain

  • From: tom poe <tompoe AT renonevada.net>
  • To: "Leland G Whitlock" <lwhitlock AT ustc.hm>
  • Cc: "CommStudios" <community_studios AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Community_studios] Re: Studio recording project
  • Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2002 11:30:53 -0700

On Wednesday 17 April 2002 11:06, Leland G Whitlock wrote:
> I've seen many of your posts on the Anti-DMCA mailing list. I noticed you
> were trying to set up some kind of public recording studio. I've just
> purchased the hardware needed for such an endeavor. I live in Chico, CA.
> I produce a radio show called 'O Gentle Light' and this seemed the best way
> to get more people involved. I thought you might like to know about my
> setup, if you've set up some kind of non-profit organization maybe you can
> even get what you need donated. I bought a Tascam US-428 USB audio digital
> recording studio mixer board. It includes XLR mic inputs for the higher
> end mics and has a built in mic pre-amp. There are 8 inputs with two for
> mics and one has a special high-Z pass guitar amp. It comes with basic
> software with an option to upgrade to the full version of CuBase for 50%
> off normal price. I had to do a lot of research before I located this
> economical option (if you can call $625 economical). Anyway my point is
> with this board and some mics and cabling and a full version of CuBase you
> would have an excellent recording studio. I just wanted to let you know
> about this option and wish you luck in your endeavors with this project.
>
> Leland George Whitlock
> leland AT ecst.csuchico.edu
> lwhitlock AT ustc.hm

Hi, Leland: Isn't that just amazing? Put that in a studio facility, and top
quality recordings, right?

Does Chico need a studio for recording that is community-based and provides
FREE recording services for their citizens? We have initiated the
development of a "model" for the creation of recording studios. These are
community-based facilities that provide FREE recording services for the
community, in return requiring that the works produced be placed in the
Public Domain, as a way to broaden the base of Public Domain works.

What's interesting about this project, is that communities like Chico can
utilize this model and fashion it to meet their local needs. Our
organization is designed to assist at whatever level the community would
like. If they want us to take it from the ground up, we will. If they just
want the steps to do it themselves, it's all right here. No cost. Just a
lot of encouragement. We eliminate the obstacles that are so costly to
bands, artists and musicians to get their expressions out there for the
public. Invariably, artists and musicians will want to move on to make a
living, and our resources simply provide them a means to do so. Producers,
recording studios, and record labels simply receive a much higher quality of
"clients". Best of all, though, we offer a strong foundation for artists and
musicians to build their future on.

If you want to look into this further, don't hesitate to ask how we can help.
In the meantime, I hope you will join the mail list and share your
experiences.
Reno, NV
http://www.studioforrecording.org/
http://www.ibiblio.org/studioforrecording/
http://renotahoe.pm.org/

  • [Community_studios] Re: Studio recording project, tom poe, 04/17/2002