community_studios - [Community_studios] Re: [suse-schools-usa] Whoa (Obtaining Hardware)

community_studios AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Discussion of all things related to Public Domain

  • From: tom poe <tompoe AT renonevada.net>
  • To: suse-schools-usa AT suse.com
  • Cc: "CommStudios" <community_studios AT lists.ibiblio.org>, "Reno_Perl_Group" <renotahoe-pm AT pm.org>
  • Subject: [Community_studios] Re: [suse-schools-usa] Whoa (Obtaining Hardware)
  • Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2002 12:30:20 -0700

Hi, Andy: Good stuff, here. May I go through this line by line? I'll
preface my comments with an "ANS":

On Thursday 11 April 2002 10:21, Andrew Choens wrote:
> How did your school obtain funding for the computers and what not? Where
> did this idea originate from?
>
> One problem I've noticed is getting the hardware. Does your school put
> computers in the classroom or in labs?
>
> What do people think about the pros/cons of dedicated computer labs versus
> computers in every classroom? With either solution what ratios of
> computers to students have schools managed to achieve?

ANS: This is an easy one for most people. One computer, one kid. Having
said that, maybe cost has been a factor in the past, leading people to
knee-jerk some ratio. However, what I think everyone agrees on, is that
we're trying to come up with a model that will enable donated computers and
Open Source software, combined with a mobilized support network, both on-site
and remotely, that will enable one computer/ one kid to be a reality.

> SuSE and Linux can handle the software side. That www.seul.org page is
> awesome.

ANS: You think that's good, try this one for schools:
http://promo.net/pg/

>So, having said that, perhaps some brainstorming on ways to
> obtain hardware would be constructive. I've been thinking about the idea
> of approaching local businesses. Going door to door however doesn't seem
> very constructive.

ANS: This is untested so far, but give me a week, and I'll have a better
idea. The strategy is to contact IT directors throughout the community. Ask
for an informational interview about putting computers in schools, and their
opinions and advice, with a 15 min time-slot. This puts you in front of the
IT Director, who also can champion the hardware problem on your behalf.
Sounds good to me, and I've already started a tally sheet, "Companies that
threw me out!", so I can get a good measure of my success. <grin>
Remember, it only takes one good resource. Also, think about this, and tell
me if I'm on the right track. I get in front of the IT Director, state my
case, and indicate I want to mobilize all the IT folks in each company for
volunteer support teams. This, my friend, smells a whole lot like some good
'ol fashioned wholesome competition brewing, what do you think?

Thus, I came up with a couple of alternatives. People
> listen to the radio. Radios like doing community organized projects
> because it makes them look good. Perhaps they could help get the word out.
> I've got another idea, but I'm waiting for more information to see if it
> seems feasible. Anyone else have ideas along thes lines?

ANS: Man, I don't know how to break into that one. I'd need some really big
crayola-type instructions on how to make that happen.

Reno, NV
http://www.studioforrecording.org/
http://www.ibiblio.org/studioforrecording/
http://renotahoe.pm.org/

  • [Community_studios] Re: [suse-schools-usa] Whoa (Obtaining Hardware), tom poe, 04/11/2002