community_studios - [Community_studios] Fwd: Re: Introduction

community_studios AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Discussion of all things related to Public Domain

  • From: tom poe <tompoe AT renonevada.net>
  • To: "CommStudios" <community_studios AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Community_studios] Fwd: Re: Introduction
  • Date: Tue, 2 Apr 2002 15:27:02 -0800

---------- Forwarded Message ----------
Subject: Re: Introduction
Date: Tue, 2 Apr 2002 14:50:53 -0800
From: "Molly S VanHouweling" <MSVanHou AT law.stanford.edu>
To: tompoe AT renonevada.net

Tom--thanks for the introduction!

Ram--I've admired your work on the Free Music Philosophy and I'd love to
tell you more about the "Creative Commons" project I'm working on with
Larry Lessig. We're trying to partner with artists and artists
organizations like Tom's to make it easier for creators to put their work
into the public domain or to exercise only some of the rights they have
under copyright.

We'll be drafting customizable licenses and tagging works so that search
engines, peer-to-peer applications, etc. can find, say, all musical
recordings available for non-commercial use. We hope to complement the
work that you and others have already done in this area, and I'd like to
talk to you sometime about how best to do that.

Is there a good time in the next couple of weeks when I might reach you on
the phone?

Best regards,

Molly Van Houweling
Executive Director
Creative Commons

Ram, I want to introduce you to Molly VanHouweling, at the Creative Commons

Project. We are going to explore the licensing options through her,
initially, and hope that she can point us to tools to research pertinent
Law
Reviews on ASCAP, BMI, RIAA as they pertain to copyright law. There's a
key
word, "arrangements" in musical works, that needs to be addressed as a part

of our options. We're really early in their organizational rampup, so it
may
be many weeks before they're ready to assist, but might as well say hello.

I'm copying this to her, as well.

  • [Community_studios] Fwd: Re: Introduction, tom poe, 04/02/2002