commons-research - [Commons-research] Update on FCRC

commons-research AT lists.ibiblio.org

  • From: "Giorgos Cheliotis" <gcheliotis.lists AT gmail.com>
  • To: <commons-research AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Commons-research] Update on FCRC
  • Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2011 19:39:55 +0800

Dear all,

The Free Culture Research Conference (FRCR) has now been held 3 times, first at the iSummit in Sapporo in 2008, then at Harvard University in 2009, and finally at the Free University of Berlin, in 2010. It is also the main raison d'ĂȘtre of this otherwise quiet mailing list, as the list was used to coordinate resources for the first event in Sapporo and for some communications since.

Needless to say, as the main initiator of this event and co-chair of all 3 conferences thus far, I have been amazed at the support that several good people have given the FCRC over the years and humbled by the many great minds that have used this as an opportunity to convene, discuss and debate anything and everything that can fall under the umbrella of Free Culture. Every year we have experimented with the format of the event, and the last conference in Berlin was considered by many to be the most complete and intellectually stimulating thus far.

As such, I would love to see this event continue in one form or another in the coming years. However, this year, there is no plan to host a Free Culture Research Conference (FCRC), in spite of some kind offers to host it. The reasons for this are both personal and practical: In spite of the many generous contributions by others, the event has taken a lot of my time every year, and I need to take a break and devote more time to other things that have been relatively neglected as a consequence. Also, in discussions I have had with some of you, I have come to realize that we all need to devote some time to the dissemination of our research work to a broader academic and non-academic audience, via journal articles, books, reports, or in any other manner. So, I propose that we make 2011 the year when we make that happen in whatever way we can. I for one will focus more on my writing. I also plan to edit a special issue on Free Culture in a relevant academic journal. There are more options to explore, such as book projects, and I will let you know when I have news on that. Please use this mailing list to share other ideas or proposals that you wish to make and think about how you can contribute towards the goal of disseminating our research and ideas.

In the meantime, I hope to host a more informal meet-up at the CC Global Summit planned for this year, where we can strategize on what we want to do as an interdisciplinary academic community in the next few years. The FCRC and this mailing list are of course not in any way dependent on CC, but as many of the initiators and conference attendees are, or have been, in some way affiliated with CC, I propose we use that as an opportunity for at least some of us to meet this year. I do not have details on the CC summit yet, so this is just a tentative plan that I hope the summit will be able to accommodate.

This year I will also try to set up a steering committee for FCRC that will steward this event in the future in a more sustainable and serious manner, and without the need for my constant involvement. I think this will help safeguard the future of the event and ensure some continuity from one year to the next.

That is all for now, thank you for reading. I thought I owed everyone an update. While I'm sure that having no FCRC this year will be disappointing to some, I hope you will agree that taking a break will allow us to do more in the long term. Feel free to send your comments or suggestions to me personally or to this mailing list.

Regards,

Giorgos