common-sense - Consider This: Trying to Avoid South Dakota

common-sense@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Consider This:

  • From: "Common Sense Foundation" <david@common-sense.org>
  • To: <common-sense@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Consider This: Trying to Avoid South Dakota
  • Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2006 17:21:03 -0400

Title: Trying to Avoid South Dakota

The COMMON SENSE Foundation

Consider This…

TRYING TO AVOID SOUTH DAKOTA

They did it in South Dakota. Can they do it here?

In the wake of South Dakota’s devastating ban on all abortions deemed unnecessary to save a woman’s life, many are taking a renewed look at the state of choice here at home.  And while the precedents set forth by Roe v. Wade may not face as dire a threat here in North Carolina just yet, over the past years we have seen a steady chipping-away at reproductive freedoms that should make all pro-choice advocates ill at ease.

Earlier this year, North Carolina earned a D on a report card issued by one of the nations leading abortion advocacy groups, NARAL Pro-Choice America.  The annual report from NARAL (available by clicking here) examined the abortion laws and legislative make-up of each state, as well as the possible impact of a future Supreme Court decision overturning Roe v. Wade.

NARALs report on the Tar Heel state found that 78 percent of North Carolina counties do not have an abortion provider, and that the General Assembly is mixed on the issue of abortion.

Also enumerated were other specific state laws that place undue burdens
on women seeking information on or access to legal abortions, including laws that limit access to abortion for young and low-income women.

Pro-choice advocates must work to make sure that the anti-choice movement gains no ground this year in the General Assembly.  The health and safety of women across this state depends on it.

If you find "Consider This" challenging, informative, and useful, as many of our readers tell us they do, please show your support by donating to the Common Sense Foundation today.

The Common Sense Foundation provides "Consider This" to thousands of readers free, three times per week. We get plenty of feedback from readers of all types, from all over North Carolina and all over the world!

But producing "Consider This" takes time and energy, and we need your support to keep doing the work we do. That's why we want to take this opportunity to encourage you to make a tax-deductible donation to the Common Sense Foundation to support "Consider This."

Contribute $50. Or $100. Or more, if you can afford it. We'll take contributions in any amount, of course, in support of promoting progressive public policy. Your contribution is tax-deductible.

Click on this link to learn how to contribute:

http://www.common-sense.org/?fnoc=membership

You can contribute by check or credit card, over the Web or over the phone.

Help us keep "Consider This" going! Help support the Common Sense Foundation.

  • Consider This: Trying to Avoid South Dakota, Common Sense Foundation, 04/28/2006