common-sense - Consider This: New LGBT Study Released With Poll Data

common-sense@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Consider This:

  • From: "Common Sense Foundation" <david@common-sense.org>
  • To: <common-sense@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Consider This: New LGBT Study Released With Poll Data
  • Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2005 15:01:15 -0400

Title: New LGBT Study Released With Poll Data

The COMMON SENSE Foundation

Consider This…

NEW LGBT STUDY RELEASED WITH POLL DATA

Would you be surprised to learn that North Carolinians believe in fairness and equality?

You shouldnt be. A new study released today by the Common Sense Foundation shows that North Carolina residents believe that gay, lesbian, and transgender people deserve equal treatment under the law. Click here to download a pdf file of the report!

Common Sense commissioned a statewide poll to measure North Carolina voters attitudes toward LGBT issues. The survey found that 73% of North Carolinians believe that all state residents should have equal rights under the law regardless of sexual orientation.

Similarly, 57% of the respondents in the survey believe that employment discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation is unfair, and 69% believe housing discrimination on that basis is unfair.

Perhaps most surprisingly, when asked Do you think it is fair to define marriage in such a way that it excludes same-sex couples?, 51% of respondents said No.

The accompanying study examines many issues of interest to the LGBT community, from employment/housing discrimination to same-sex marriage and adoption to HIV/AIDS to transgender issues. The study presents real policy solutions that will help achieve full equality for all state residents.

The extreme right has been getting away with murder on this issue for far too long. This survey shows that North Carolinians are not gay-bashers, and the study shows how to fix the states laws to reflect that reality.

If you find "Consider This" challenging, informative, and useful, as many of our readers tell us they do, please show your support by donating to the Common Sense Foundation today.

The Common Sense Foundation provides "Consider This" to thousands of readers free, three times per week. We get plenty of feedback from readers of all types, from all over North Carolina and all over the world!

But producing "Consider This" takes time and energy, and we need your support to keep doing the work we do. That's why we want to take this opportunity to encourage you to make a tax-deductible donation to the Common Sense Foundation to support "Consider This."

Contribute $50. Or $100. Or more, if you can afford it. We'll take contributions in any amount, of course, in support of promoting progressive public policy. Your contribution is tax-deductible.

Click on this link to learn how to contribute:

http://www.common-sense.org/?fnoc=membership

You can contribute by check or credit card, over the Web or over the phone.

Help us keep "Consider This" going! Help support the Common Sense Foundation.

  • Consider This: New LGBT Study Released With Poll Data, Common Sense Foundation, 10/26/2005