common-sense - Consider This: The Lottery Five

common-sense@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Consider This:

  • From: "Common Sense Foundation" <david@common-sense.org>
  • To: <common-sense@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Consider This: The Lottery Five
  • Date: Fri, 1 Jul 2005 17:04:32 -0400

Title: The Lottery Five

The COMMON SENSE Foundation

Consider This…

THE LOTTERY FIVE

No, the Lottery Five is not some strange Motown mutation.

The Lottery Five is what Raleigh folks call five courageous state senators, Democrats all, who have publicly opposed a state lottery in North Carolina.

State Democratic leaders are just itching to implement a regressive lottery; the N.C. House passed a lottery bill this spring. But the firm opposition of the Lottery Five has kept the bill bottled up in the Senate, and has left legislative leadership looking for ways to sneak a lottery into the budget.

The Lottery Five are Charlie Albertson (of Beulaville), Dan Clodfelter (of Charlotte), Janet Cowell (of Raleigh), Eleanor Kinnaird (Carrboro) and Martin Nesbitt (Asheville). All five have made consistent public statements in defiance of party bigwigs who push the lottery as easy money.

The pressure will now get tighter on the Lottery Five, and the scary thing is that lottery pushers only need to peel off one vote (if they can keep their 24 yea votes in line, that is) to pass the Senate.

But the pressure should be nothing in comparison to the satisfaction of opposing bad public policy. News from Texas this week provides more confirmation of that: big-game lottery revenue in Texas is down a staggering 40% this year, and the director of the Texas Lottery has admitted to fudging prize numbers to encourage more gamblers to play.

Standing up for whats right, rather than whats politically popular at the moment, is what its all about for North Carolinas Lottery Five.

If you find "Consider This" challenging, informative, and useful, as many of our readers tell us they do, please show your support by donating to the Common Sense Foundation today.

The Common Sense Foundation provides "Consider This" to thousands of readers free, three times per week. We get plenty of feedback from readers of all types, from all over North Carolina and all over the world!

But producing "Consider This" takes time and energy, and we need your support to keep doing the work we do. That's why we want to take this opportunity to encourage you to make a tax-deductible donation to the Common Sense Foundation to support "Consider This."

Contribute $50. Or $100. Or more, if you can afford it. We'll take contributions in any amount, of course, in support of promoting progressive public policy. Your contribution is tax-deductible.

Click on this link to learn how to contribute:

http://www.common-sense.org/?fnoc=membership

You can contribute by check or credit card, over the Web or over the phone.

Help us keep "Consider This" going! Help support the Common Sense Foundation.

  • Consider This: The Lottery Five, Common Sense Foundation, 07/01/2005