common-sense - Consider This: State Employees Demand Rights

common-sense@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Consider This:

  • From: "Common Sense Foundation" <david@common-sense.org>
  • To: <common-sense@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Consider This: State Employees Demand Rights
  • Date: Mon, 13 Dec 2004 17:11:11 -0500

Title: State Employees Demand Rights

The COMMON SENSE Foundation

Consider This…

STATE EMPLOYEES DEMAND RIGHTS

The voices calling for collective bargaining rights for North Carolinas state employees are getting louder.

Only North Carolina and Virginia prohibit state employees from engaging in any form of collective bargaining. In a state that has one of the lowest unionization rates in the nation, its been too easy for state leaders to keep union organizers at bay.

But thats changing as more and more state employees speak out. This month labor advocates (such as the North Carolina Public Service Workers Union) have been organizing public events across North Carolina to raise awareness of the unjust limitations placed on the rights of state employees.

The rights issue is simple: since 1935 the right to collective bargaining has been recognized nationally for private-sector employees. Although public employees are not covered by that 1935 law, most states have implemented some form of authorization for collective bargaining by their state workers.

So granting these rights is the right thing to do. But its also the economical thing to do. Active and effective union representation decreases employee turnover, thereby cutting state training costs substantially and offsetting wage increases that may result from labor contracts.

State employees have been getting the short end of the stick from the General Assembly for years. Its time to move past the empty gestures of tiny pay increases and grant state employees the full civil rights they deserve.

If you find "Consider This" challenging, informative, and useful, as many of our readers tell us they do, please show your support by donating to the Common Sense Foundation today.

The Common Sense Foundation provides "Consider This" to thousands of readers free, three times per week. We get plenty of feedback from readers of all types, from all over North Carolina and all over the world!

But producing "Consider This" takes time and energy, and we need your support to keep doing the work we do. That's why we want to take this opportunity to encourage you to make a tax-deductible donation to the Common Sense Foundation to support "Consider This."

Contribute $50. Or $100. Or more, if you can afford it. We'll take contributions in any amount, of course, in support of promoting progressive public policy. Your contribution is tax-deductible.

Click on this link to learn how to contribute:

http://www.common-sense.org/?fnoc=membership

You can contribute by check or credit card, over the Web or over the phone.

Help us keep "Consider This" going! Help support the Common Sense Foundation.

  • Consider This: State Employees Demand Rights, Common Sense Foundation, 12/13/2004