common-sense - Consider This: Another House Race To Watch

common-sense@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Consider This:

  • From: "Common Sense Foundation" <david@common-sense.org>
  • To: <common-sense@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Consider This: Another House Race To Watch
  • Date: Wed, 14 Jul 2004 18:33:20 -0400

Consider This...

ANOTHER HOUSE RACE TO WATCH

Among the primary contests to watch next week will be the race for the
Democratic nomination in House District 45.

Due to fallout from the redistricting struggle, the Democratic primary
in District 45 will actually feature two incumbents, Rep. Rick Glazier
and Rep. Alex Warner. The race has gotten ugly recently, with
accusations of religious intolerance flying from both sides.

Once you wipe the mud off, the essence of this contest is clear: a
young, progressive legislator is squaring off against an older, more
conservative one. The winner should help determine the political
atmosphere in the House in 2005.

Rep. Warner has boasted of his "conservative voting record" in the past,
and earlier this year he had apparently entertained the idea of changing
his registration to Republican. It was Warner's vote in committee last
fall that prevented sexual orientation from being added to the
anti-discrimination laws that govern state personnel.

Warner was one of a handful of Democrats to co-sponsor the
constitutional amendment prohibiting same-sex marriage. Warner's
legislative record also includes co-sponsoring many anti-abortion bills.

Glazier's no extreme liberal, either; he supports a lottery and has
co-sponsored a recent bill that would cut corporate taxes. But he has
often been a powerful voice for progressive ideals in his first term in
the House, leading the fight against the bank tax loophole and
championing critical initiatives in the areas of health care, economic
justice and criminal justice.

The winner of the District 45 Democratic primary will be a heavy
favorite against lone GOP candidate Robert Lawrence.

please visit our website.

If you find "Consider This" challenging, informative, and useful, as
many of our readers tell us they do, please show your support by
donating to the Common Sense Foundation today.

The Common Sense Foundation provides "Consider This" to thousands of
readers free, three times per week. We get plenty of feedback from
readers of all types, from all over North Carolina and all over the
world!

But producing "Consider This" takes time and energy, and we need your
support to keep doing the work we do. That's why we want to take this
opportunity to encourage you to make a tax-deductible donation to the
Common Sense Foundation to support "Consider This."

Contribute $50. Or $100. Or more, if you can afford it. We'll take
contributions in any amount, of course, in support of promoting
progressive public policy. Your contribution is tax-deductible.

Click on this link to learn how to contribute:

http://www.common-sense.org/?fnoc=membership

You can contribute by check or credit card, over the Web or over the
phone.

Help us keep "Consider This" going! Help support the Common Sense
Foundation.

  • Consider This: Another House Race To Watch, Common Sense Foundation, 07/14/2004