chtechcomm - Re: [Chtechcomm] Another look at Cost

chtechcomm AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Chapel Hill Technology Advisory Committee

  • From: "Ralph Beisner" <rbeisner AT nc.rr.com>
  • To: "'Chapel Hill Technology Advisory Committee'" <chtechcomm AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc: laurineasthom AT hotmail.com
  • Subject: Re: [Chtechcomm] Another look at Cost
  • Date: Fri, 3 Mar 2006 16:42:14 -0500

Brian,

Looks like solid info. Thanks.

Ralph

-----Original Message-----
From: chtechcomm-bounces AT lists.ibiblio.org
[mailto:chtechcomm-bounces AT lists.ibiblio.org] On Behalf Of Brian Russell
Sent: Friday, March 03, 2006 11:51 AM
To: chtechcomm AT lists.ibiblio.org
Cc: laurineasthom AT hotmail.com
Subject: [Chtechcomm] Another look at Cost

RE: Cost of Muni WiFi per square mile

http://tinyurl.com/m69fs
(Copied bellow for convenience)

The bottom line from this article:
"Given these estimates, in a worst-case scenario a company, neighborhood,
or municipality will save 25% using open-source, open-architecture systems
like CUWiN. And, obviously, the cost-savings just go up from there."

-Brian

Crunching Numbers: CUWiN vs. Tropos -- Costs to Wireless 1-square Mile.

I recently read on WiFiNetNews that Tropos Networks has announced it would
cost $68,000 for the equipment necessary to network one square mile. And a
lot of folks have been asking me how much it would cost to network a
square mile using a CUWiN-based system. I recently gave a presentation at
Open Space Austin on the costs for community networks which gave me a
reason to pull together some rough estimates.

So here's some numbers for a CUWiN-based system (along with the
information that went into coming up with these estimates). I would
strongly encourage Tropos to do likewise and let consumers know how they
came up with their own cost estimates.

1 square mile = 27,878,400 square feet.

CUWiN's existing network has links as short as about 100 meters, and as
long as 400 meters (or more). So I've broken down the network cost
estimates into a "low-", "medium-", and "high-cost" breakdowns to give an
honest assessment of the potential spread for different geographies.
Node Coverage Radius Square Feet Covered Nodes Needed Total
Cost*
1,000 feet 3,140,000 9 $3150
500 feet 785,000 36 $12600
250 feet 196,250 142 $49700

*Notes: Current costs for the equipment CUWiN uses are $350/node. Radii
are based on connectivity distances between nodes (i.e., coverage area may
be larger, but these are the effective distances between two nodes in the
coverage are).

Given these estimates, in a worst-case scenario a company, neighborhood,
or municipality will save 25% using open-source, open-architecture systems
like CUWiN. And, obviously, the cost-savings just go up from there.

__
/__\
\__/
\__