chtechcomm - Re: [Chtechcomm] Possible email scam via TOCWireless

chtechcomm AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Chapel Hill Technology Advisory Committee

  • From: "Steve Irving" <wsirving AT morgancreek.net>
  • To: "'Andy Vogel'" <avogel AT ci.carrboro.nc.us>
  • Subject: Re: [Chtechcomm] Possible email scam via TOCWireless
  • Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2005 13:08:05 -0400

Andy,

Thanks for your prompt response.

I’m accustomed to lists which allow posting only after some sort of registration (and presumed verification/confirmation) of the sender’s email address, and assumed this was the case. My bad assumption, but I noticed no information to the contrary when signing up for the listserv.

Seems to me you’ve got a tough choice: either institute better registration and security mechanisms (added cost and effort), or add a notice during the sign up process indicating “anything goes” (scaring off potential subscribers). I don’t think relying on end user’s “common sense” will get it done, especially as electronic communication becomes more important in conducting business with an involved citizenry.

You may also want to consider removing the messages I mentioned earlier from your archives, considering any possible liability the Town may incur if, for instance, some innocent (read: low common sense quotient) citizen regards the “House of God” message as a Town-endorsed investment opportunity. Just a thought.

I’ve added the original recipients back to this reply so that they will all know how responsive and helpful you’ve been.

Thanks again,

Steve