chtechcomm - [Chtechcomm] [Fwd: Will Raymond moving email from chtechboard@yahoo.com to chtechboard@willraymond.org]

chtechcomm AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Chapel Hill Technology Advisory Committee

  • From: Will R <chtechboard AT yahoo.com>
  • To: Chapel Hill Information Technology Advisory Committee <chtechcomm AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Chtechcomm] [Fwd: Will Raymond moving email from chtechboard AT yahoo.com to chtechboard AT willraymond.org]
  • Date: Sat, 10 Sep 2005 22:22:21 -0700 (PDT)

Hello,

I'm transitioning off of my email address chtechboard AT yahoo.com to
chtechboard AT willraymond.org.

I'm moving on because of the recent evidence of Yahoo's complicity in
the conviction of Chinese journalist Shi Tao.

Shi Tao was convicted in April for revealing a government order
preventing media reports of the 15th anniversary of China's
repressive and brutal '89 Tienanmen Square crackdown and massacre of
pro-democracy activists.

Shi Tao received 10 years for lifting the lid on yet another case of
China's censorship.

I find Yahoo's argument that they were "just" complying with local
rules, in addition to their notorious assistance in
creating the new Internet Chinese Wall to filter out the rest of the
world ("Public Pledge on Self-Discipline for the China Internet Industry"),
unacceptable.

I will celebrate the courage and fortitude of those democratic activists
by severing my relationship and suggesting others do the same.

Please update your address books.

Thank you,

Will

encl: More information here:
http://www.rsf.org/article.php3?id_article=14884 from Reporters Without
Borders

Yahoo! for Good
Watch the Hurricane Katrina Shelter From The Storm concert
http://advision.webevents.yahoo.com/shelter

  • [Chtechcomm] [Fwd: Will Raymond moving email from chtechboard AT yahoo.com to chtechboard AT willraymond.org], Will R, 09/11/2005