chtechcomm - Re: [Chtechcomm] Archive of UNC Listserve

chtechcomm AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Chapel Hill Technology Advisory Committee

  • From: Terri Buckner <tbuckner AT ibiblio.org>
  • To: Chapel Hill Information Technology Advisory Committee <chtechcomm AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Chtechcomm] Archive of UNC Listserve
  • Date: Fri, 26 Aug 2005 10:32:21 -0400

According to the UNC technician assigned to the data recovery question, "The ch-tech-advisory list is set to keep archives for only one day.
Since messages older than one day would automatically be purged each
night, there are no messages past that one day archive we'd have."

This report is consistent with my own investigation of the UNC list archiving capabilities prior to making the decision, in full collaboration with Gregg, back in June. Before deciding to move the list, Gregg asked that we make sure a full archive would be available on ibiblio before finalizing the decision to move. If Steve found a full archive of the UNC list, I applaud his technical skills and feel sure the UNC staff would be interested in knowing where their archiving process is faulty.

I agree with Gregg's earlier message (copied below for the record) that advisory board email communications should be addressed in the Town's public records policy. Only staff are covered by the Town's current policy. There is no Town policy on the email communications of elected and appointed officials.

Until the Town decides to install its own email list application, I'd suggest that committee members truly concerned about open meetings and the public records aspect of the committees communications should be subscribed to the list and use it so that all communications are fully recorded for public inspection. As it stands now, there is much more private communication than in the past.

To subscribe to this list, please go to:

A full archive of communications through the ibiblio list (established June 2005) can be reviewed at:
https://lists.ibiblio.org/sympa/arc/chtechcomm/

Terri

Gregg Gerdau wrote:

Hi Steve,
Thanks for sharing the link. Archives of the Ibiblio listserv Terri set up in July, in addition to archives of the UNC listserv used previously, are linked on www.techcommittee.org <http://www.techcommittee.org>. You may want to read my post there, noting that UNC's messaging people have been trying all day to restore those archives.
I, like you, fully regret they were capriciously destroyed without regard for the value they may have to past, present and future members of the TC. Or their ownership. I notified the Town early this morning that a problem may have occurred. The listserv records, as well as all individual emails where deliberation of any TC issue took place, are public records. You may have noted that the proposal in front of the Town Manager and Attorney for Electronic Meetings contains a provision to coordinate backups of these archives with the Town's archival practices, as required by the referenced NC statutes. All members of the TC received a copy of the proposal draft submitted, via either hand delivery or as part of their August agenda, that specified the compliance requirements.
The Electronics Meeting Proposal can be a key resource for a relationship with the Town staff and Council, as well as demonstrating civic technical leadership to any other state entity subject to the Open Meetings Law. Although a time consuming and detailed effort was required to produce it, Evelyn, David Lawrence and I are looking forward to putting it into practice with the requested trial implementation. A trial can only begin after three sequential events occur: first, the Town Attorney reviews (and possibly modifies) the proposal; second, the Town Manager approves a final version of the proposal; third, a public body, such as a Chapel Hill Board or Commission, agrees to adopt the proposal to test it. First choice would naturally, I believe, be to the Technology Committee. The initial effort was undertaken because the group had become exceptionally reliant on the listserv for communication long before we joined or the Town Manager brought his policy to our attention. It seems that some members of the TC tried, at the last meeting, to vote on the proposal. Although not called for on the agenda, the show of interest and support was welcomed. But it was premature.
Keep your fingers crossed for the UNC techies to effect a clean recovery!
Gregg