chpac-staff - Re: [Chpac-staff] more on arts and public: "An arts revolution is transforming small cities."

  • From: Steve Wright <swright AT townofchapelhill.org>
  • To: Sally Greene <sgreene AT townofchapelhill.org>, "chpac-staff AT lists.ibiblio.org" <chpac-staff AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Chpac-staff] more on arts and public: "An arts revolution is transforming small cities."
  • Date: Wed, 9 Mar 2016 14:23:07 +0000

The Fallows' airplane trips to smaller cities was on the PBS Newshour last
night also. In the following clip they look at Greenville, SC's revitalized
downtown and new urban park:

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/bb/not-all-forgotten-american-cities-are-struggling/

"JUDY WOODRUFF: Why is having a downtown important?

JAMES FALLOWS: To a surprising degree, just the identity of this is a place
where there's a there there depends on having a downtown with restaurants and
with not just a shopping mall. It was amazing to go see how many parts of the
country are attracting really ambitious, really well-educated, really
first-rate people who think that the best arena for their ambitions and their
whole life prospect is someplace where they can do work of the very first
tier, but also have some effect on the local community...

MAYOR KNOX WHITE, Greenville, South Carolina: We reinvented the downtown,
just as we reinvented the local economy."

-Steve