chpac-staff - [Chpac-staff] Special Events Committee ArtWalk meeting notes

  • From: Mandeybrown <mandeybrown AT gmail.com>
  • To: "chpac-staff AT lists.ibiblio.org" <chpac-staff AT lists.ibiblio.org>, Meg McGurk <meg AT downtownchapelhill.com>
  • Subject: [Chpac-staff] Special Events Committee ArtWalk meeting notes
  • Date: Wed, 9 Dec 2015 16:45:12 -0500

Hi, all, the Special Events Committee (Josh, Jean Michel, and myself) met
with Meg McGurk on Nov 18 to discuss the future of Second Friday ArtWalk and
how we can help and be more involved. We came up with some suggestions and
ideas, and here they are!

As of now, ArtWalk will remain in the hands of CHDP. CHPAC would love to
support it and help out with it however possible. We feel this is a logical
partnership. CHDP will be hiring an intern in the beginning of the new year
to assist with ArtWalk.

SHORT TERM GOALS

Vendor Recruitment:
We need more downtown Chapel Hill businesses to participate in ArtWalk. We
discussed going “door-to-door” asking owners and managers to consider being a
part of ArtWalk, or at least engaging them in conversation about why they do
not currently participate. Some businesses owners have mentioned that the
work load of arranging an art opening is too taxing for a Friday night, and
some have mentioned the $100 yearly fee as being exorbitant (see below for
more info and possible solutions).

We discussed having a series of informational parties at area businesses
during which we can recruit new participants. This would also be a great
opportunity to administer our Arts survey. We can answer questions and
address any concerns they might have during these informational meetings. We
can give them snacks because people love snacks.

We would ask them questions like, “What are your barriers? How would you like
to participate? What would you be willing to pay for promotions? What do you
need from us?"

Yearly Fee:
Some businesses don’t want to participate on a monthly basis, so the yearly
fee which pays for monthly promotions seems too high to them. We discussed
developing a tiered pay program which would give businesses the opportunity
to pay for 3, 6, or 12 months of promotion. We also discussed a free option,
but we;d need to figure out exactly what they get (or don’t get) with this
option.

Tour Guides:

We discussed organizing volunteer tour guides to lead people around the
downtown Chapel Hill ArtWalk venues as an added way to educate the public
about the various participants.

Group Trips:

Wed discussed having a CHPAC “Group Field Trip” where the commission members
attend and tour ArtWalk together to get a hands-on perspective of what is
needed and what works well.

LONG TERM GOALS

-Management of entire event
-Funding for event (currently, CHPD pays for all promotions with monthly fees
from participants. They do not profit from the fees at all. All money from
fees goes directly back into ArtWalk. Extra funding would make it possible to
have more elaborate openings and more town-sponsored openings)

Sent from my iPhone

  • [Chpac-staff] Special Events Committee ArtWalk meeting notes, Mandeybrown, 12/09/2015