chpac-staff - [Chpac-staff] library sculpture grand opening

  • From: Jeff York <jyork AT townofchapelhill.org>
  • To: "'chpac-staff AT lists.ibiblio.org'" <chpac-staff AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Chpac-staff] library sculpture grand opening
  • Date: Tue, 21 Jul 2015 17:03:12 +0000

Chpac members,

This was mentioned in the July report that went out earlier,  but here are some more details about the unveiling event.

Together with the Office of Public & Cultural Arts, Chapel Hill Public Library is very excited to unveil the Town’s newest public art installation at the Library this Saturday, July 25th at 11:00 am.  We hope you will join us in celebrating this new addition to our already great public art collection in Chapel Hill.  This permanent installation in called “The Grand Intimate” and is comprised of four sculptures – a rabbit, a tortoise, a toad, and snake - by artist Todd Frahm of Swannanoa, NC.  Each limestone sculpture references the stories and fables that we engage with as children and share in our collective cultural memories.  And each one weighs over 4,000 pounds!  They will be placed on the Library’s back plaza, just off Meeting Room B.

In addition to the actual unveiling of the sculptures, we have planned a community celebration around this, including:

-          To kick things off, the regularly scheduled Library Storytime at 10:30 will feature stories and fables that highlight these animals

-          A commemorative coloring book, designed by the artist and his wife, that includes an original poem about each animal featured.  We’ll have 500+ of these to give away at the event and after.  The commemorative book was made possible with funds from Office of Public Art and the Friends of the Library.

-          The artist will bring some limestone hunks to talk about his art and process and maybe even let folks take a whack (safety glasses will be on hand, of course!)

-          The Piedmont Wildlife Center will be on hand with a real rabbit, snake, turtle, and frog for people to learn more about these real life animals

-          Maple View Ice Cream will be serving up scoops (first 100 kids get ticket for free ice cream, thanks again to the Friends of the Library), The Siena has donated fresh baked cookies, and we’ll have lemonade as well.

Jeffrey J. York
Public & Cultural Arts Administrator
Cultural Arts
Parks & Recreation Department
Town of Chapel Hill
200 Plant Road
Chapel Hill, NC 27514

Phone: (919) 968-2750
Fax: (919) 932-2923

.

  • [Chpac-staff] library sculpture grand opening, Jeff York, 07/21/2015