chpac-staff - [Chpac-staff] Update on Revised Courtesy Review

  • From: Dan Cefalo <cefalobuilt AT gmail.com>
  • To: chpac-staff AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Chpac-staff] Update on Revised Courtesy Review
  • Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2014 13:25:03 -0500

CHPAC,

A few updates on the courtesy review process.

I have had the opportunity to speak with Lee (our Council Liaison) Jeff, Robert Stancil’s Office (Jason- Assistant Town Manager), Kay (Staff Liaison CDC) and Jennifer Phillips- individually.

Currently, the process will go to a staff meeting involving all necessary representatives from each department.  They will all have the opportunity to discuss how this works for them.  That meeting will take place on Monday 11/17

The bullet points Jeff is bringing to that meeting

our proposed new procedure-

*CHPAC- would review art that is brought in as part of any new development that is being presented to the Planning Board

*CHPAC would review the art element and provide a single page report.
The Report would include these points of review
1- Art - in the sense of relevance and aesthetics
2- Maintenance and ownership
3- Structural elements- risk of injury, accessibility, climb-ability, durability.
4- If it is a mural- site prep, anti graffiti measures, maintenance, lack of business reference (Prevention of mural being a large billboard / advertisement)
5-Critique and comments
Our report would have an APPROVAL, APPROVAL WITH COMMENTS, DENIAL or DENIAL PENDING RESUBMIT

APPROVAL -Self Explanatory
APPROVAL WITH COMMENTS-  Comments can include - structural improvements
changes in finish methods for durability
corrections to maintenance plan
other alterations
DENIAL-  Not aesthetically relevant, pleasing, appropriate for the location.
DENIAL PENDING RESUBMIT-  Artist doesn’t have enough information together, early sketches do not provide enough information on project.  Material or finish will be an issue in relation to the area or other current art installations

The CDC and Planning Board would be provided our Report as will the Artist.  This will eliminate the need for further review of the art by Planning or CDC.
CHPAC- may defer elements of the art to be reviewed by CDC or Planning Board if it falls outside of our purview

Our hopes are that these new procedures will allow for a faster and more refined process in future developments  It also allows the CHPAC to guide these installations and their relevance or relationship with our ART PLAN and 20/20

Please let me know if there are any additional comments on this.

Thanks
DAN CEFALO
Certified General Contractor
Building Consultant
Development Consultant

Direct-  919.889.2215
Email-   cefalobuilt AT gmail.com

This e-mail, and any attachment, may contain privileged or confidential information which is intended solely for the designated recipient(s) named above. If you are not the intended addressee/recipient, you are hereby notified that any use, disclosure, copying, or distribution of this information is strictly prohibited. Please notify the sender by reply email advising of the error in transmission and immediately delete/destroy the e-mail message and any accompanying documents.