chpac-staff - Re: [Chpac-staff] CHPAC mtg.

  • From: "Kass, Emily S." <emily_kass AT unc.edu>
  • To: Steve Wright <swright AT townofchapelhill.org>, "chpac-staff AT lists.ibiblio.org" <chpac-staff AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Chpac-staff] CHPAC mtg.
  • Date: Tue, 9 Jul 2013 00:23:41 +0000

All,

I’m so sorry to miss the rescheduled meeting on Tuesday and fully understand the urgency of its timing. I share Jeff’s concerns completely as follows:

Old Chicago Pizza: From my experience attending events in the plaza, for Old Chicago to expand much beyond the overhang would severely limit the plaza’s civic function., especially with the fireplace.  I would vote for one layer of tables beyond the overhang, at most; very doubtfully beyond that. I attended a swing band/dance event last month that I would say was lightly attended (i.e. not at all nearing the capacity that Chapel Hill could expect with fully inhabited 140 and 123 West tenants) and that open space was critical. Hard to imagine a fireplace as positioned. (And yes, the sculpture does need attention to water flow and child control, although the kids love it and could care less. It’s totally joyful.)  I wonder if there is a way to reposition seating and fireplace in more “intimate” space on Rosemary to connect with the street and adjoining businesses?

I’m troubled by Old Chicago’s turning its back on Rosemary Street and even Church Street.  Rosemary development is a huge priority for the town and I hate to see that prominent corner being totally “dark.”  Clearly, the original intent of the design of 140 West was to have a store front on that corner of Rosemary based on the building. I hope Chapel Hill can do better.

Also, if I may weigh in on the strategic plan:  It is really well done and I applaud the ambition, recognizing that objective 6 is essential to success while being  less fleshed out – look forward to working on that one.

Might I suggest that we consider a more ambitious vision statement?  I would like CH to be more than a “well-known art destination…”  --perhaps the best, or the preferred, or the most important!…..Since this is a vision (meaning 20 – 25 years out )– let’s go for it!

Also, I do seem to have a copy of the committee list- so not able to choose one.  Please resend if possible.

Again, apologies for having to miss this meeting,

Emily

Emily Kass

Director

Ackland Art Museum