chpac-staff - [Chpac-staff] CHPAC

  • From: Jeff York <jyork AT townofchapelhill.org>
  • To: "chpac-staff AT lists.ibiblio.org" <chpac-staff AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc: "Sally Greene \(sally AT ibiblio.org\)" <sally AT ibiblio.org>, "Rebecca Brenner \(rbrenner AT email.unc.edu\)" <rbrenner AT email.unc.edu>, "penny rich \(pennyrich.ch AT gmail.com\)" <pennyrich.ch AT gmail.com>, "Lisa Goldstein \(lisapg AT nc.rr.com\)" <lisapg AT nc.rr.com>
  • Subject: [Chpac-staff] CHPAC
  • Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2011 11:57:39 -0400

I hope everyone is having an excellent end to the summer (hard to believe school is about to begin).  I just wanted to remind everyone that CHPAC is on vacation for the month of August so there is no meeting this evening.  I know everyone was chomping at the bit to be there, darn.  Just to keep you up dated on a few activities,  I have provided you with a staff report of sorts.

Superstreet – a open meeting to meet the artist Thomas Sayre was held on 8/4.  There were 44 people in attendance including Mayor Kleinschmidt and Laurie Paolicelli, from the Visitor Center.  The proposal was received positively by 90% of the attendees.  I will be meeting with former Mayor Foy to discuss next steps in the coming weeks.

Library – the Public Art Review Committee met on 7/25 and via conference call, Echelman presented her proposal and fielded questions.  The proposal with a few minor tweaks was well received.  Subsequent comments have be submitted to the artist for response.

140 West – Finally, Huether is officially back under contract.  Steve and conversed with him by phone on 7/26.  Ram is providing him with wall dimensions and we should have a preliminary proposal by mid-fall.   Numerous meetings about plaza details have been held with Town staff and a 3 page memo listing all the artist’s and P & R’s concerns have been submitted to Ram.  MikYoung Kim’s is schedule to submit her construction drawings in mid-September for review.

Vets Memorial – the Vets Memorial Committee met on 7/18 and developed a case statement and design parameters for the memorial.  This statement has been conveyed along with contracts to the 3 semi-finalist design firms.  Interviews with the firms and their presentation of preliminary ideas will be schedule for the last week in September or the first week in October.

Sculpture Visions -  The selection committee met on 7/29 and selected artists for all the locations including in front of the Aquatic Center (new), U Mall (Sponsor) and the Chamber of Commerce building (new sponsor).  The sponsored sculpture at Southern Village will remain.  All artists have been contacted and contracts are being prepared.

Oakwood Park – ceramic Workshops for neighborhood children and adults were held 7/23 and 24.  Participants created some 70 tiles to be affixed to the entrance columns of the newly renovated playground area at the park.  The tiles will take about a month to complete dry and then they will be adhered.

Into the Streets – The ITS “call” was distributed broadly on 7/15 and applications are due on 8/19.

Artist in Residency -  I have been in touch with instructors at both Chapel Hill and East Chapel Hill High Schools.  Both are interested in hosting a residency.  A meeting will be held with each shortly to begin to work out the details.

MLK Jr. Celebration -  I have been attending a inter-departmental committee to develop programs for an MLK celebration in January -February 2012.  I am arranging tour of the  Service mural by Collin Quashie at the School of Government and will be working with the Library and Transit to organize a employee poetry contest and display those poems on town buses.

Festifall -  Jennifer Wales may have additional information to share, but Festifall planning is underway.  The Festifall artist selection committee met 8/4 and selected 112 artist to exhibit at Festifall.

Commissioner Eligibility – I am following up with commission suggestions about changes to the commissioner eligibility.  I have been speaking with the Commission Coordinator,  Council Members and our commission chair.  I will present my report at our September meeting.

Just a reminder, If you know of anyone interested in joining the commission,  please have them contact me.  Have a great rest of August.  See you in September.

Jeffrey J. York
Cultural & Public Arts Administrator
Cultural Arts Division
Parks & Recreation Department
Town of Chapel Hill
405 Martin Luther King Jr Blvd
Chapel Hill, NC 27514-5705

Phone: (919) 968-2750
Fax: (919) 969-2063

  • [Chpac-staff] CHPAC, Jeff York, 08/10/2011