chpac-staff - [Chpac-staff] (no subject)

  • From: Jeff York <jyork AT townofchapelhill.org>
  • To: "chpac-staff AT lists.ibiblio.org" <chpac-staff AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Chpac-staff] (no subject)
  • Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2010 16:50:08 -0400

Commissioners,

In the ever two part byzantine system that governs commissioner nomination and then appointment, I just learned from the clerk,  that in order to be nominated and appointed for service for the coming fiscal year,  all prospective appointees need to be nominated by March 22 to be on the May ballot.  After our March 14 meeting, I received and application from a very interesting prospect, a lawyer with an interest in public art and art law (application attached) obviously there is not time for the commission to meet and vet this individual.   I have spoken to him at length about the commission, our transitions, our working board nature, strategic planning and heard him talk about his art law course, the public art controversy case studies he reviewed and his interest in public art.  I think he would be a good fit for the commission.  I want to endorse him to you and I hope in turn you can vote by e-mail to recommend him for nomination.  None of us have met him and I have invited him to attend our planning session, which he seems anxious to do.   If we do not recommend him, his name will be placed on the ballot anyway.  Given the choice of non-recommended applicants who could very well be appointed, I think it might be smart to fill a seat with at least someone with the right kind of interest.   The commission still has the opportunity to withdraw their recommendation before the May council vote.   If he is recommended, that will make five recommended seats (Small, Davenport, Leaf, Wales).  The commission could then request the remaining seats be left open until next nomination period.  My gut says council might agree with that, but may not agree if multiple open seats remain given the  number of seats we requested being left open in the past.

I would like you to send me by tomorrow an e-mail with a yea or nay vote to nominate for Andrew Gerschutz to the commission.   This could be rescinded in May, but if we don’t recommend this applicant now, we can’t recommend him to be on the ballot.

Jeffrey J. York

Public Arts Administrator

Town of Chapel Hill

Town Hall

405 Martin Luther King, Jr. Blvd.

Chapel Hill, NC  27514

phone 919/968-2750

jyork AT townofchapelhill.org

  • [Chpac-staff] (no subject), Jeff York, 03/18/2010