chpac-staff - [Chpac-staff] FW: draft Nov. meeting summary

  • From: Steve Wright <swright AT townofchapelhill.org>
  • To: "chpac-staff AT lists.ibiblio.org" <chpac-staff AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Chpac-staff] FW: draft Nov. meeting summary
  • Date: Fri, 13 Nov 2009 14:00:14 -0500

My report from the artist group: the group had a lot of ideas about places that could be identified as temporary artist studio space – contact the representative from the library – she had the most ideas of everyone. They liked the idea of developing an art project in the Carrboro-Chapel Hill “corridor (by Al’s Garage) to bring together divergent groups of people (Latinos, Carrboro and Chapel Hill residents). They also had a vision for a dedicated space for artists that can be used for studio space, residencies with world renowned artists (including those who live in the area) and professional development for teachers and teaching artists. They identified the need for a centralized organization that collects and distributes art opportunities for both artists and the public – they felt artists would be more likely to come to the area if they could find information through other traditional sources as well as more innovative technologies (on line, cell phone applications, etc).

The biggest challenge was $$ and the divisions between Carrboro and Chapel Hill - need to work on perception and a way to brand the area as a hub for the arts.

North Carolina Arts Council

www.ncarts.org

Banu Valladares| Literature Director and cARTwheels Manager
banu.valladares AT ncdcr.gov

tel: 919.807.6512 | fax: 919.807.6532
Department of Cultural Resources
Mail Service Center #4632
Raleigh, NC 27699-4632

E-mail correspondence to and from me is subject to the North Carolina Public Records Law.