chpac-staff - [Chpac-staff] clarification: CHPAC in the news

  • From: "Steve Wright" <swright AT townofchapelhill.org>
  • To: <chpac-staff AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Chpac-staff] clarification: CHPAC in the news
  • Date: Mon, 18 Aug 2008 14:04:56 -0400

Dear CHPAC,

Some of you have pointed out inaccuracies in the Daily Tar Heel article linked below.  Unfortunately, while I was careful in what I said to the DTH reporters knowing they are students, they still got a number of things wrong in this article, such as:

"The arts commission recommends projects for the Percent for Art program, said Steve Wright, Chapel Hill's public art coordinator" – this implies there is no Council control or decision in this process.  What I actually told the reporter was that in the past the CHPAC has looked at the Town's Capital Improvement Plan and identified for Town Council projects that would be suitable for a Percent For Art project.  The Town Council then determines which Town projects will have Percent For Art projects.

The DTH also confused the percentages I gave them.  The article says "about three-fourths of Percent for Art projects go to people from this state" - this is not right.  I said 3/4 of Town Hall and Library Exhibitions go to in-state artists.  Three of our eight Percent For Art projects were created by North Carolina artists.

Finally, the article gets Bryant Holsenbeck's home town wrong – the address I use for her is Durham, not Greensboro.

-Steve