chpac-staff - [Chpac-staff] March 19 presentations by candidates for public arts administrator

  • From: "Frank Webb" <frankwebb AT nc.rr.com>
  • To: <chpac-staff AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc: 'Mark Kleinschmidt' <markkleinschmidt AT gmail.com>
  • Subject: [Chpac-staff] March 19 presentations by candidates for public arts administrator
  • Date: Sun, 16 Mar 2008 16:41:48 -0400

Dear Colleagues,

Attached (and reproduced below) is some guidance in respect of the presentations to be made next Wednesday, March 19. I hope we shall have as many CHPAC Board Members as possible there

In addition to the presentations, candidates have also been asked to complete a tough writing assignment that relates to the contextual plan. They will be interviewed next day by the Town Senior Management Team and will meet with other Town staff and Council Members. The recruitment process is very impressive and should lead to a very good appointment.

If possible, please arrive a few minutes before the 5:30 PM start time. The order of presentations will be determined randomly. I shall introduce Board Members. You should all wear name tags or have name cards on the desk in front of you. I shall ask each candidate to provide some personal background for two or three minutes before they begin their presentation.

This meeting is all about the candidates so please do not question any Town staff that might be present about the future role of public art or where in the Town hierarchy the new Administrator will be placed.

The following CHPAC Board Members have already indicated that they can attend on the 19th. I hope that the rest of you will be able to come after all.

Frank Webb

Erica Rothman

Pam Pease

Louise Stone

Haig Khachatoorian

Elizabeth Taylor

Lowell Roberts

Dick Robinson

I look forward to seeing you on the 19th. Please let me know if you have any questions.

Frank

Recruitment of the Public Art Administrator

Presentations to the Chapel Hill Public Arts Commission

5:30 PM Wednesday March 15 2008

First Floor Conference Room, Town Hall

Candidates for the position of Public Art Administrator have been invited to make a presentation on March 19 to CHPAC Board Members. They have been warned that the meeting is open to the public and there might be others there, including representatives of the media. The following day they will be interviewed by Town staff according to standard procedure. CHPAC is not involved in the interviews.

What have the candidates been asked to do?

Roger Stancil forwarded the following request from me to the candidates:

“We would like you to prepare and deliver a presentation of up to 15 minutes entitled “The Meaning and Importance of Public Art” to the Board Members of the Chapel Hill Public Arts Commission. The presentation will allow you to define your vision of public art and the value to a town such as Chapel Hill of a long-term investment in public art. You should refer to your own experience in illustrating the main points, draw parallels between Chapel Hill and comparable communities, and discuss future directions that might be of particular relevance to our varied community. The presentation will be followed by 10 minutes of questions from the audience.”

We intend to be very strict about the 15 minutes for presentations and 10 minutes for discussion so that all candidates are treated identically.

What are CHPAC Board Members being asked to do?

Our agreement with the Town Manager is that Board Members will meet the candidates, listen to their presentations, ask questions and provide comments that feed into the recruitment process. Your comments should address two questions: What did you think were their strengths? What information do you think the Town should seek or check on before reaching a final decision? We are not being asked to vote on who we think is the best candidate.

Your comments should be provided to Frank Webb in written notes at the end of the presentations or in an email by lunchtime of March 20, please.

  • [Chpac-staff] March 19 presentations by candidates for public arts administrator, Frank Webb, 03/16/2008