chpac-staff - [Chpac-staff] Lot 5 information

  • From: "Steve Wright" <swright AT townofchapelhill.org>
  • To: <chpac-staff AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Chpac-staff] Lot 5 information
  • Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2008 15:37:50 -0500

Dear CHPAC,

Best,

Steve

For an overview of the Lot 5 project, with links to the revised Masterplan, the call for the second artist, and Town and Ram webpages dedicated to this project, please visit http://www.chapelhillarts.org/programs_percent_curr_5.php .  The Masterplan designates the two areas of the Lot 5 project that will incorporate public art (Art Area I in magenta is for Mikyoung Kim’s work and Art Area II in green is for a second artist, to be selected).

Next week a jury of arts professionals will review the Art Area II applications and will narrow down the applicant pool to 3-4 finalists to be interviewed by the full Public Art Review Committee (the “PARC”) on Tuesday, January 29th.  This jury is comprised of Jerry Bolas, former Director of the Ackland; Dail Dixon, a local design professional; Haig Khachatoorian; Mikyoung Kim and Jeff York of the North Carolina Arts Council (Bolas, Dixon and Khachatoorian also serve on the PARC, along with Town and Ram representatives).  As of 2 pm today we have received 54 applications.

Monday, January 28th Mikyoung will present the preliminary design of her artwork (for Art Area I) to the PARC, present the Masterplan to the community at an event to be held at the Library, and then present the Masterplan to Town Council that evening.

A second contract between Mikyoung, the Town, and Ram is being developed to cover the final design, fabrication and construction phases, as is a similar contract for the Art Area II artist.

  • [Chpac-staff] Lot 5 information, Steve Wright, 01/11/2008