chpac-staff - [Chpac-staff] The Power of Arts Advocacy

  • From: Janet Kagan <jkagan AT nc.rr.com>
  • To: chpac-staff AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Chpac-staff] The Power of Arts Advocacy
  • Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2007 17:50:27 -0500

Dear CHPAC

On the Public Art Network (PAN) listserv, the administrator of the Boynton Beach public art program recently posted the following statement about the power of public art advocacy.  I share it with you.

Janet

"... I have been busy defending the City of Boynton Beach Public Art  ordinance. The newly elected Commission was looking to reduce the fee from 1% to 1/2%. After many art advocates spoke to them in a recent City Commission meeting it failed 5-0.   I want to briefly share the power that a community and its art advocates have.

The Americans for the Arts sent a letter from president and CEO, Bob Lynch that was read to the Commissioner.  Liesel Fenner, Manager of Public Art spearheaded the effort.  Our local representative, Bill Nix, VP Marketing and Government Affairs from Palm Beach County,  came to speak on our behalf. Local businesses, community associations public artists and developers who support the Public Art program spoke out.  The City Arts Commission, our advisory board, each made professional well pointed statements supporting the Public Art ordinance. If it wasn't for this organized force at the City Commission meeting I am certain that the first reading of the Public Art Ordinance Amendment would have passed to reduce the Public Art fee.  I am ever grateful for the support of our Public Art community both locally and Nationally.

We still have our 1% for Public Art ordinance that is for both private and city development & redevelopment projects with a construction value over $250,000.  The details of our ordinance are on our web site.  www.boyntonbeacharts.org."

  • [Chpac-staff] The Power of Arts Advocacy, Janet Kagan, 12/13/2007