chpac-staff - [Chpac-staff] organizational changes

  • From: "Steve Wright" <swright AT townofchapelhill.org>
  • To: <chpac-staff AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Chpac-staff] organizational changes
  • Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2007 09:06:23 -0500

To:       CHPAC

From:   Dick Robinson

I am told that some CHPAC colleagues may still be uncertain about the nature of structural arrangements and relationships that are in play, and so I offer this additional summary and invite you to raise any unresolved questions about the impending changes that you may wish to discuss at our meeting on Wednesday.

1. For 4 years the CHPAC has been a private 501(c) (3) corporation, that legally is not a component of town government.

2. However, the corporation, pursuant to a bilateral performance agreement, has functioned during that period as a "special commission"

of the town, exercising delegated authority and responsibility for facilitating the town's public art program.

3. Our corporate function will be displaced by a new town infrastructure, consisting of a town employed Public Arts Administrator and a new town advisory commission of citizen volunteers that will advise and assist the Administrator in the continuation of the town's program.

4. The current members of the corporate board will be offered the opportunity to serve as members of the initial class of membership of the new town commission.

5. The independent 501(c) (3) corporation, with change in name, will continue in existence to perform a different function, viz., seek to raise funds from private sources for art projects of benefit to the public, separate from the town's programs.

6. The current members of the corporate board will continue, for the immediate future, to serve as directors of that newly focused corporate endeavor.  Thus, the same people, if they so choose, may be functioning in two capacities concurrently, viz., members of the corporate board and members of the new town commission.

7. At a future date, the corporation may choose to revise its by-laws to differently constitute its board of directors, to more usefully reflect the realities of its new mission.

  • [Chpac-staff] organizational changes, Steve Wright, 12/11/2007