chpac-staff - [Chpac-staff] CHPAC committee membership

  • From: "Steve Wright" <swright AT townofchapelhill.org>
  • To: <chpac-staff AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Chpac-staff] CHPAC committee membership
  • Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2007 12:06:53 -0400

Dear CHPAC,

If you have not done so, please communicate to me which of the following committees you’d like to serve on, in order of preference.

  1. an “Exhibitions” committee that combines the former Exhibitions and Sculpture Visions committees (final committee name TBD)
  2. a “Town Collection” committee that combines the former Percent for Art and Permanent Collection committees (final committee name TBD)
  3. Artist in Residence
  4. Community Art Project
  5. Fundraising / Major Art Initiative

We hope to have these committees sorted out by our September 12th meeting.

Thanks,

Steve

Ps.  Pasted below is a link and the text of a letter to the editor that appeared in the Chapel Hill News this weekend by Janet Kagan:

http://www.chapelhillnews.com/opinion/story/9126.html

Let's work together on public spaces

The Chapel Hill News editorial ("McCorkle Place needs no crowds," Aug. 12) claims that we do not have a "natural public gathering place" downtown. This assertion confounds three issues: downtown gathering spaces, university land and open green space.

I write to remind readers that when lot 5 is redeveloped there will be 27,000 square feet of open public space on the corner of Franklin and Church streets. Internationally acclaimed artist Mikyoung Kim will be designing this space to accommodate many kinds of programmed cultural events and spontaneous interactions with light and water.

During the early stages of project planning, the Public Arts Commission and Kim developed ideas to encourage pedestrians to engage this new public place; RAM (the developer of record) will be donating approximately $200,000 for the administration of such programs.

Since 2003, voters have approved $6 million in town and county parks and greenways bonds. Last year, the Public Arts Commission surveyed residents to learn how they like to use open green space so that Percent for Art projects would reflect their preferences.

The commission received a wonderful range of responses indicating a desire to use Percent for Art funds for infrastructure elements (water fountains, areas to rest and stretch, lighting, bridges, among other suggestions). As a member of the Public Arts Commission, I hope you will contact the commission with your recommendations about how to enhance your experience of our green space (info AT chapelhillarts.org).

I see numerous opportunities to boost our downtown neighborhood pocket parks, establish a design threshold for West Franklin's Streetscape that accentuates the pedestrian over the automobile, and re-evaluate the Franklin, Henderson and Rosemary Street intersections to animate our downtown and serve the needs of our community.

Maybe it is time to recognize what we do well, which includes a transparent public process of decision making, and work together to advance our common and shared goals for a livable Chapel Hill. -- Janet Kagan, Chapel Hill