chpac-staff - [Chpac-staff] Public Art definition

  • From: "Frank Webb" <frankwebb AT nc.rr.com>
  • To: <chpac-staff AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc: 'Kate Flory' <kflory AT townofchapelhill.org>
  • Subject: [Chpac-staff] Public Art definition
  • Date: Sun, 6 May 2007 13:16:49 -0400

CHPAC

I hope this email reaches you all. I got the address from Kate’s email and assume it is a group list

Apropos our discussion yesterday about what is public art, here is a link to the Wikipedia entry. Not the final authority, no doubt, but an interesting essay nonetheless. There is an interesting paragraph on “Percent for Art” which includes a formula that might be a model for a Chapel Hill compromise. “New York City has a law that requires that no less than 1% of the first twenty million dollars, plus no less than one half of 1% of the amount exceeding twenty million dollars be allocated for art work in any public building that is owned by the city. The maximum allocation for any site is $400,000.”

By the way, look at the marvelous Oldenburg piece on the right

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Public_art

Frank

Frank T. G. Webb, PhD

1-919-942 6379 tel