chpac-staff - [Chpac-staff] Public Art in Private Development

  • From: "Kate Flory" <kflory AT townofchapelhill.org>
  • To: <chpac-staff AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Chpac-staff] Public Art in Private Development
  • Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2007 16:31:39 -0500

Hello CHPAC,
As many of you know, for the past several months we have been talking to our
Council liaison, Mark Kleinschmidt, about requesting permission from the
North Carolina General Assembly for the Town to later decide whether it
wishes to implement a mandatory program for public for art in private
development. (The Contextual Plan proposes public art in private
development; the Plan suggests that this could either be a voluntary or
mandatory program. If the program is mandatory, it would require enabling
legislation from the General Assembly.)

Last night Council members discussed the items on their legislative agenda
priority list. Our item is still on the list, but was not given top
priority. Mark K. anticipates that the Council will pursue such a bill this
year. After the bill is introduced the next steps are to educate our
Representatives about other communities with public art in private
development policies and to begin working with the North Carolina Arts
Council and other public arts organizations across the state to lobby for
this legislation. We have already started working on this.

At the meeting, Aaron Nelson, Executive Director of the Chamber of Commerce,
spoke out against public art in private development. Council members
defended the Town's commitment to public art and cleared up a bit of
misinformation (Aaron was concerned about the 2% for public art proposal;
Council members clarified that the enabling legislation does not talk about
exact percentages, nor does it mandate a policy. It simply gives the Town
the option of adopting a policy at a later date.)

I will certainly keep you updated. Please let me know if you have any
questions in the meantime.
Kate

  • [Chpac-staff] Public Art in Private Development, Kate Flory, 02/27/2007