chpac-staff - [Chpac-staff] CHPAC meeting attendance

  • From: rhrjr AT webtv.net (Richard Robinson)
  • To: CHPAC-staff AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Chpac-staff] CHPAC meeting attendance
  • Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2006 13:57:54 -0400

Dear Fellow Members,

At the commission meeting of September 13 only eight members--a bare
quorum of the fifteen-person authorized membership--were present.
During the meeting we discussed our concerns about the recent pattern of
irregular attendance.

While much of the substantial and enjoyable work of the commission
occurs at the committee levels, it is important to remember that only
the full commission has the authority to establish policies for our
organization, to authorize proposed initiatives, and to approve major
undertakings. It diminishes the quality of our collective
decision-making process when we don't have a full complement of members
present for a complete airing of diverse perspectives.

It is true that each of us will experience exigencies from time to time
that prevent our attendance. However, our by-laws provide that a
person's membership is terminated automatically by three consecutive
unexcused absences. We agreed at the September meeting that if a member
fails to respond to Kate's advance request for notice of an intended
absence, that will constitute an unexcused absence. In addition to that
operating premise, we hope that only compelling circumstances (such as
personal or family illness) will produce absences.

We are counting on everyone's active involvement during this year of
potential major changes in the scope, role and mission of our
commission. There is important and exciting work to be done.

Best wishes,
Dick

  • [Chpac-staff] CHPAC meeting attendance, Richard Robinson, 09/15/2006